Posted by EMMAMETCALFEHURST in Archives, Contemporary art, Curatorial, Event, Gallery
Access Gallery opening for SWARM. Courtesy of Access Gallery. Photograph by Emma Metcalfe Hurst.
2015-2016 – Curatorial Assistant, Access Gallery
- Worked closely with Kimberly Phillips, former Director/Curator at Access Gallery to develop and execute curatorial projects, public programming, publications, and Access Gallery’s inaugural travelling artist residency Twenty-Three Days at Sea, on a container/cargo ship.
- Hosted exhibition tours and assisted with more than 8 public events.
- Conducted studio visits with artists.
- Assisted with grant writing, reports, and budget management.
- Performed daily administration and docent tasks including: opening/closing gallery, email correspondence, greeting visitors, conducting sales of gallery merchandise.
- Installed 5 exhibitions.
- Generated promotional materials and managed gallery social media platforms.
- Managed gallery website and content. Assisted with the development of a new gallery website.
- Supervised gallery interns and developed work plans and projects.
- Coordinated Access Gallery’s 2015 Lottery Calendar Fundraiser and fundraiser event A Vibrant Assemblage, which included more than 50 artists.
- Assisted with administration, development, production, and launch of Twenty-Three Days at Sea Kickstarter fundraiser campaign which raised over $12,700.
- Performed coordination for Twenty-Three Days at Sea artist residency open call which received over 1000 applications, internationally. Participated on the Artist Residency Selection Committee for the inaugural year.
- Developed professional relationships with local/emerging artists, gallery board, students, gallery supporters, and
2014 – Archives Intern, Access Gallery
- Researched local artist-run-centre archives practices.
- Developed workflows and spreadsheets for managing gallery records, as well as a descriptive template for Access Gallery’s archives.
- Organized and catalogued Access Gallery’s physical administrative and exhibition records from 1991-2014,
including: publications, printed matter, realia, and exhibition documentation (slides, printed photos, digital files).
- Labeled and transferred 25 binders of archival materials into proper archival-grade storage for preservation and
- Digitized textual documents and slide negatives and uploaded to the gallery’s website.