Welcome Visiting Scholar: Dr. Kate Prebble

The Consortium welcomes Dr. Kate Prebble as our newest visiting scholar, arriving in June, 2015.

Dr. Prebble joins us from the University of Auckland, where she is a Nurse Historian and Senior Lecturer in the School of Nursing. She writes: “I have had a long career in mental health nursing as a clinician, academic, and professional leader. My primary research interest is in the social history of mental health nursing. My recent historical projects include topics such as the role of District Inspector in New Zealand, mental health nursing in the Waikato, and post-WWII immigration of psychiatric nurses. I have completed oral history collections in nursing and forensic history.”

While visiting, Dr. Prebble will provide a guest lecture on her work in the history of forensic psychiatric nursing in New Zealand in the context of deinstitutionalization. The lecture is co-sponsored by The Critical Research in Health and Healthcare Inequities Unit at the UBC School of Nursing. You can view the Event Poster Here.

For more of Dr. Prebble’s recent research, see her article in the Journal of Law and Medicine (December 2014), entitled: New Zealand’s mental health district inspector in historical context: ‘The impartial scrutiny of a citizen of standing.’

For more information, please email us at nursinghistory@nursing.ubc.ca