Linux on my Mac

I’ve been doing an increasing amount of grumbling about the performance of my Mac, which may be unfair as I likely need to upgrade some hardware and do some file maintenance and cleanup. But I’ve also been noting some behaviour from the good ship Apple Corp that has lately been rubbing me the wrong way (disclosure: many people think I’m a perpetually disgruntled pinko anarchist, and I’m OK with that).

Going back to Microsoft is not an option, which means I’ve been casting longing glimpses Linux-way, though I have my doubts whether I have the technical chops to run the system. But it also occurs to me that I am increasingly using my Firefox browser as my interface for more and more of my apps (Flickr for photos, Writely for word processing, etc…). So when my partner said she wanted a laptop for writing we agreed to buy a cheapo PC and slap the most humane Linux OS we could find onto it. When we learned that our friendly neighborhood corner shop (named “Weblog Computer” of all things) specialised in Linux apps and support, we took that as a sign and decided it was all systems go.

Christmas came early to OLT today, as a clever staffer had ordered a bunch of Ubuntu install and demo discs some time back. To my surprise, Ubuntu can be loaded onto my Apple PowerBook — who knew? I’m not quite prepared to ditch OSX, but I am able to get a sense of the Ubuntu environment via the live demo disc. So far it seems pretty slick, and though the instructions warn that the demo disc runs slower than the installed OS does, right now it’s noticeably faster than OSX.

In this instance, I’m easily convinced. Now to find a cheap laptop to liberate from the clutches of proprietary software…

9 Responses to Linux on my Mac