A downer for the deluge…

Today I am literally swamped. Not misusing ‘literally’ here, I mean my place is besieged by floodwaters, much of the yard underwater, the city engineers responsive but apparently unable to do much until the rain lets up here in Van Rock City — whaddya know, it’s flooding all over the lower mainland… So far, we haven’t suffered much damage besides some stuff we had in the garage, but it’s been buckets of driving round-the-clock fun. A certain elemental tension in the air, a pervasive sogginess in my socks…

In other news that’s all wet, the company that once set the standard for warm and fuzzy relations with its community is acting like yet another bully behemoth. Boris Mann reports that Flickr is patenting interestingness. Next up they can patent good will. He’s disgusted, and so is Stephen Downes. Seems like a dangerous game to play for a company that has benefited so handsomely from its fabulous blogger-karma… perhaps they’ve achieved the requisite dominant status to stop caring. I suppose Web 2.0 really has arrived as a major corporate player…

At least tomorrow I expect to dry out as I fly to warm and sunny climes, though in all honesty I’m far more excited by the program of this year’s NMC Regional Conference in San Antonio. So many of my favorite people will be there, and every time slot will be a difficult decision. Myself, I’m taking another crack at my extended riff on mash-ups, last inflicted on unsuspecting participants at the Utah State Open Education Conference, but with a few new wrinkles. Let’s just say that if things progress as planned this iteration promises to be a lot louder and even less coherent.

Tags: , ,

5 Responses to A downer for the deluge…