Harry Motors Away

Rocker

The NV edublogger crew had all drifted off from Van Rock City by midday Sunday, and I confess to something that felt like empty nest syndrome. Bereft, with a massive sleep debt, a few cold frosty beverages, a back deck, blazing Vancouver sunshine(!) and a huge amount of information to process.

My spirits were lifted by the sound, drifting up from the yard below, of five year old Harry singing songs with our downstairs neighbour Josh strumming along on guitar. HarrySingsGVB

Audio clip: Adobe Flash Player (version 9 or above) is required to play this audio clip. Download the latest version here. You also need to have JavaScript enabled in your browser.

The song they’re singing is “Motor Away” by a band that to me is the purest embodiment of all that is wonderful about rock music, Guided by Voices. And yeah, Harry trips up on a few lines. But so does Robert Pollard (especially towards the end of his shows after the 20th or 30th beer)…

Here’s the original (after the short intro of “Auditorium”):

I know what you’re probably thinking… No, I didn’t force-feed Harry this song like some pathetic showbiz Alternadad wannabe. I don’t even think I’d played the song in months. I was simply gobsmacked when he started belting it out walking to school a few weeks ago. He knew the lyrics better than I did.

And just because Harry and I love to crank this song, and because the video has an educational theme, here’s GBV’s “Bulldog Skin“:

6 Responses to Harry Motors Away