Who needs P2P filesharing?

Yorks

I’ve marveled over the past year at a mutation from the traditional MP3 Blog format that I’ve posted on previously…  the emerging genre of usually-anonymous blogs that post entire albums, usually via file hosting services such as RapidShare. Typically, these sites seem to be the work of hardcore music nuts who are digitizing their rarest vinyl – usually stuff that has never even been considered for CD release. The past few days, WFMU DJ Doug Schulkind has posted on the phenomon:

The variety and quality of free music available on the Internet is simply staggering. The motherlode of music blogs out there donating MP3 freebies of rare, out-of-print and previously unissued recordings make this historical moment the goldenest age ever for music obsessives. As anyone who’s done a bit of online audio prospecting knows, the problem isn’t just finding the stuff, it’s finding the time to excavate the many armloads of albums you absolutely, desperately, ravenously must have.

Witch

Schulkind has initiated a series of posts with links to his favorite recent finds (here and here): if you’re open to hearing Afro and Carribean funk, psych-folk from 60’s Detroit, Peruvian Garage, Japanese Fuzz-Freakout with African Percussion, a forgotten 1968 classic with Neil Young guesting on guitar… well, you get the idea. Each of Schulkind’s choice selections link back to blogs which have plenty more where that came from… with links to yet more like-minded blogs.

For adventurous ears, it’s almost too much to fathom. It’s hard to see how long this free ride for aural excavators can go on, but for now  there’s a motherlode out there that is limited only by bandwidth and hard drive space.

And then there’s the law…

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to Who needs P2P filesharing?