UBC Reads Sustainability

“books” shared CC by bjornmeansbear

A few changes in my professional profile at UBC in recent weeks… My old Office of Learning Technology has merged with the former Centre for Teaching and Academic Growth to become the Centre for Teaching, Learning, and Technology.

Among the changes for me personally is an assignment to coordinate our Centre’s efforts having to do with sustainability. Along those lines, I am very pleased to announce our participation in an exciting new initiative that originates from UBC’s Alma Mater Society. UBC Reads Sustainability is intended “bring well-known authors on the topic of sustainability to our campus to engage in a campus-wide discussion.”

The idea is to integrate these events with in-class activities, and already instructors from five departments have agreed to take part. Two fantastic speakers have already been lined up:

* David Korten, on “Creating a Real Wealth Economy for a Just and Sustainable Future”. Wednesday, September 29th, 6:00-7:30 PM at the Victoria Learning Theatre in the Irving K. Barber Learning Centre. Free registration here.

* Stewart Brand on “Rethinking Green”. 7:00-8:30 PM, Tuesday, Oct 5th, Multi-purpose Room, Liu Institute of Global Issues at UBC. Free registration here.

This is a brand-new series, and we at CTLT could not be more excited about how this idea is set to grow.

This entry was posted in Higher Ed, sustainability. Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to UBC Reads Sustainability