A learning objects presentation, or a cry for help?

Last week I gave a presentation on reusable media for a group of educators at UBC’s Faculty of Science.

I did my best to give a talk that used as little learning object lingo as possible, and left aside any detailed discussion of standards and metadata. It went reasonably well — and my co-presenter Joseph Dietz gave a good demonstration of a Biology Image database he has developed (not open access, sadly). But to be frank, it didn’t feel quite right to me. It’s not as if the audience pelted us with rocks and garbage, but my gut tells me that the spiel is not where it needs to be to make a compelling case why people (especially faculty) should care about reusable media, much less change their practice to accomodate it.

In that spirit, I’ll link to the presentation text (HTML)… if anybody has any thoughts on my content or on my approach, I’d appreciate some scathing (hopefully constructive) criticism — either in the comments field below or by email. Your feedback would be gratefully accepted.

I referred to the following sites in the course of 45 minutes of babbling…

*The National Science Digital Library
* The eduSource consortium
* The CAREO repository system
* The Universitas 21 Learning Resource Catalogue
* Creative Commons — open source licensing
* The UBC – University Industry Liaison Office has launched Flintbox, a selection of IT technologies that are available for licensing at the UILO. They offer secure hosting, and collect payment in exchange for 10% of the cuts.

If you like the content, feel free to repurpose it. But most of all I’d appreciate ideas on how to promote the potential benefits of this approach without coming across as a mindless booster.

This entry was posted in Administrivia, Emergence, Higher Ed, Objects, Open Content, Webloggia, XML/RSS. Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to A learning objects presentation, or a cry for help?