“Who knows, perhaps this could become a party game.”

I’ve been letting a lot of noteworthy stuff slide this week, but this post on gaming by Bryan Alexander is too juicy to pass up. He’s roused to indignation by a dismissive essay by Christine Rosen in the New Atlantis, one that Bryan describes as “a sort of swirling, congealing swarm of complaints that skitter across the surface of evidence it can’t be bothered to understand.”

I’m a sucker for argument laced with vicious and delicious invective, and Bryan acknowledges “there’s some sort of obligation (or schadenfreude) in picking [the piece] apart.” But in addition to the post being a bracing and funny read, the diverse set of links marshalled to support his stance constitute a pretty useful resource in themselves. If you were looking for a quick introduction to scholarly and cultural approaches to gaming culture, this isn’t a bad place to start.

I’ve taken off on one of the more tangential references Bryan makes — yesterday I picked up a copy of Richard Powers’ novel Plowing the Dark (working next door to a library has its privileges). I’m forty pages in and thoroughly hooked.

This entry was posted in Emergence. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to “Who knows, perhaps this could become a party game.”