NEWS FLASH: Learning Object Gets REUSED!!!

If you find yourself trapped listening to some wanker go on and on about the boundless potential of learning objects, and the gains for efficiency by using them, ask the wanker to cite examples of LOs actually being reused in practice.

An embarrassed, confused silence is likely to follow. You may be asking an unfair question, given the novelty of this approach and the immaturity of the so-called learning object economy. But administrators have a responsibility to ask unfair questions when it comes time to dispense project funding. This is an unfair question that needs to be asked…

Clearly there are institutional and/or cultural barriers to the sharing of digital learning resources. The University of Waterloo-led CLOE project has identified the elements of a learning object, and the considerations that go into sharing, finding, and reusing them. This media-rich presentation is done with the care and craft that I’ve come to expect from Waterloo’s LT3 unit.

And as the somewhat hysterical headline to this posting indicates, they’ve also posted an interesting case story of how a learning object, created at the University of Waterloo for a Kinesiology course, gets reused at the University of Guelph in an Equine Studies Online Distance Course. The presentation tells “the learning object’s story — from the perspective of the creator, the reuser, and a few people in between. “

This entry was posted in Objects. Bookmark the permalink.

1 Response to NEWS FLASH: Learning Object Gets REUSED!!!

1. ram says:

testing.