We be moving soon!

Sorry for the downtime over the past couple of days. Apparently, the recent hassles have prompted host David Wiley to pull the plug on the Movable Type weblogs at reusability.org.

I’m bummed for all sorts of reasons. I’ve built up a fairly good complement of links to this site, and a number of postings on this weblog attract significant traffic. It’s a pain to ask people to update their links, RSS subscriptions and bookmarks — I imagine a fair number of people will decide it’s not worth it.

But I have nothing but gratitude for David. I’ll never forget watching him install Movable Type remotely over a coffee break when he visited UBC — this was after literally months of frustration trying to get MT hosting established here. I also enjoyed the association with David via that groovy reusability.org URL — however tenuous. With the similarities in addresses some people would get the impression we were collaborating very closely, and I never tried very hard to disabuse them of the notion.

I’m not sure where I will go yet. We are hosting a significant number of MT weblogs here at UBC, and that’s an obvious destination. Then again, the future of MT’s license muddies the waters somewhat. I’ve also been playing with Plone’s weblog product for the Small Pieces event. I suppose Typepad and WordPress are lurking as options as well.

In any event, a serious drag. But David — don’t feel bad, you provided a great service for free, and all I have to say to you is a great big Hee Haw-style “Saaaaaa-Luuuuuute!”

This entry was posted in Administrivia. Bookmark the permalink.

1 Response to We be moving soon!