What is online content worth?

That question is a huge issue at stake in the ongoing Writers Guild strike.

I am well short of the information threshold required to express a meaningful opinion. But it’s clear the writers of the Daily Show didn’t lose their knack for making a comedic point when the paychecks dried up:

5 Responses to What is online content worth?

1. Andy Rush says:

Wow! The Daily Show – still the best U.S. show on TV, even when it’s not officially on the air. Thanks for finding this Brian!!

2. Tim Wang says:

LOL, nice one. Thanks Brian!

3. Jim says:

Two things to add:

The “Riding the Waves of Uncertainty” is a piece of strike propaganda created by Hollywood writers to call out the huge media companies on the “Digita golden age” and one of the key issues of the strike: residuals for new media.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8a37uqd5vTw

The other is a Marc Andreessen’s piece about how this strike could in many ways hasten the demise of huge industrial complexes like Hollwood and hasten a new, micro-cosmic age of media, here’s the “thesis:”

“The writers’ strike, and the studios’ response to the strike, may radically accelerate a structural shift in the media industry — a shift of power from studios and conglomerates towards creators and talent.”

Link to article

The idea of this shift to”creators and talent” is kind of weak, but the idea that this strike is dangerous at this moment o media history is fascinating to me, and may explain why both parties are ready to come back to the table so soon. They may be increasingly irrelevant before long!

4. Jim says:

I just commented and included a few links, it was moderated, FYI -and probably for good reason 🙂

5. Brian says:

Thanks Jim, you really oughta be on a VIP whitelist round here by now!