Welcome to the machine. What did you dream?

UBC Library book retrieval system, originally uploaded by stodmyk.

This nifty Creative Commons-licensed photo is of UBC Library’s Automated Storage and Retrieval System. It’s part of the newly rebuilt Main Library at UBC. From what I understand, I’ll be moving my base of operations for professional misconduct back to this building next month as the Irving K. Barber Centre enters its next phase.

Five years ago, my first offices at UBC were in the previous edifice of the library. The ceiling was maybe a foot over my head (we used to say it was like working in a submarine), but I loved that space (pics missing). We had windows that we could actually open to the outdoors, they overlooked the greenspace in front of the Student Union Building. And when I needed to gather my thoughts, it couldn’t get better than stepping out the door and wandering the stacks. More than once I found inspiration or consolation in a serendipitous book or periodical…

I guess you really can’t go home again.

1 Response to Welcome to the machine. What did you dream?