The Thank-You Post

Posted by: | January 31, 2007 | 4 Comments

We’ll both have withdrawal symptoms and we hope you’ll still read and interact with our discussion posts below. Play with them! We’ll probably reply. Actually, I’m sure we will. And stay tuned for Elections Results tonight! We’ll come back then, with commentary, of course. And photos.

End Transmissions. This is goodbye, because the election is almost over, and we’ve each neglected some parts of our normal life. Not that we didn’t enjoy this (way too much at times). We’ve both invested a lot into this blog, the AMS, and the university, so writing this is cathartically bitter and heavy. But we’re also happy, because this has been an incredible experience for us, and, we hope, for you as well. We’ve learned that engaging people in dialogue is as difficult as is presumed. It’s a matter of approach. And more importantly, there’s a demand for thoughtful discussion of student issues, and that demand exists outside the AMS clique. Students don’t care? Bullshit.

So what would we ask you to take away from this blog? That student want to be engaged, they want places to engage, and they want to be able to inform themselves. Don’t take students for granted, nor for idiots, and you’ll be rewarded.

We didn’t do this on our own. We have some people who need to be thanked:

First and foremost, Gerald Deo. He gave us the wonderful design for this page, made it functional for us who are largely computer and design illiterate, and was responsive to our sometimes annoying demands. (Sorry Gerald! – Gina)
Everybody who contributed, and responded to our questionnaires. We know it was time-consuming but, trust us, people read them. Especially the candidates – how else would they get such insight into the job they’re aspiring to get?
The Candidates. This is an excellent, diverse crew of people who’ve responded well and really reached out to students. While we could only endorse a few, we’ll be happy with (almost) any result tonight. We tried hard not to be mean; please take any criticism constructively. And stay involved. Students need your energy.
Everybody who supported us outside the blog. It’s been a busy three weeks, and not insignificant chunks of time have been poured into this. For those who put up with us, had to suffer, or otherwise supported us, thanks so much. You know who you are. Vous etes notre raison d’etre.
Finally, you. All you 5500+ unique viewers logging in from all over the world! You helped turn this into a place of discussion, engaged us, challenged us, and contributed at least as much as you got out of it. This only succeeded to the extent it did because of your participation.

It’s been so amazing. Thanks! We’ll be in touch.

Gina Eom and Tim Louman-Gardiner

4 Comments so far

1. Jessica on February 1, 2007 3:28 am

Thanks to YOU Gina and Tim! I know I speak for a lot of people when I say that it was a pleasure (an addictive one, at that) to read the blog! You two worked so hard and I for one really appreciated it!

2. Jessica on February 1, 2007 3:28 am

3. Anonymous on February 1, 2007 4:19 am

Hey, it’s Josh Bowman here, former SPANdidate, former SPANpaign manager, and former former Students Voicer. And a bunch of things in between.

Great job on this blog, guys! It took me a while to get around to sifting through it all, but this is definitely one of the best things I’ve ever seen during election time…an open forum to blog about elections, platforms, ideology, the AMS…

When you’re in the AMS, it’s like a nexus, a void that sucks away your identity, destroys friendships, and kills your spirit. It’s also amazing, incredible, powerful, and builds friendships you never could have imagined. If you’ve never been bi-polar, try being in student government.

When you leave, all of those petty conflicts you had seem…petty. What you used to focus on every day, what caused you to lose weight and sleep…it no longer matters so much. Your political enemies, the intrigue, the petty politics, the ideologues and dialogues.

Sometimes, though, I still miss it. I still think about being at UBC which, in many ways, is such a small community. I miss the feeling that you could actually make change occur, and see it happen, both within and outside the structure of the AMS.

I’m glad slates were banned, and I don’t think it’s inaccurate to humbly suggest that I am the sole and entire reason that happened ;). But sometimes, I miss the camraderie I had with the people I ran with.

SPAN made me some friends for life, and some enemies for life. Working in the AMS involved challenges I could never have imagined I would face in student government! At the end, though, it helped me understand who I am and what I need to be doing (hint: not politics).

For all of the soon-to-be AMS hacks and politicians, and all of the young idealists reading this blog, take advantage of the time you have at UBC and the AMS. It’s really messed up in there sometimes, but I’d like to think that there are some folks (AMS staff and students) who really do care about what’s best for students; and that’s a good enough reason to participate, right? Forget left and right, liberal and conservative. I learned the hard way that doing a good job in (student) government often means making the best decision, not necessarily the best decision for your constituents or your personal beliefs.

Thanks Gina and Tim. It’s validating to see that something I used to care so much about is still meaningful to you guys, and everybody who contributed here (including, but not limited to, Spencer. You’re a good guy).

4. Anonymous on February 1, 2007 4:19 am