Adventures in WikiCasting: Fast, Free, and Out of Control

Having been prepared for the likelihood that I had made royal ass of myself, I’m more than a bit relieved that so far the response to WikiRadio has been positive.

James Farmer, Stephen Downes, and Scott Leslie each noted that WikiRadio was delivered by Macromedia Breeze, which is not a cheap product, and mused about how such a production could be mounted on a budget.

I just want to state that at no point in the production of the presentation did I lay hands on the Breeze interface. As I posted a couple weeks back, I captured and mixed the audio in Audacity and a few other free applications, and used wikis to create the corresponding screens. When it came time to pull it all together, I asked my colleague Michelle Chua to drop in the finished .wav sound files and take screen shots of the wiki pages for the slides.

So Breeze is not a production tool for WikiRadio. It is a delivery mechanism.

To experiment with a less structured delivery system, I aggregated all the sound files into a (single MP3 file (21:24, 19.7 MB), and mashed all my wikiscreens into a single scrolling page.

The resulting WikiRadioWikiCast can be accessed here.

Had I known I was going to present the material this way I would have built it differently — but that qualifies as a lesson learned. I could polish things up a bit, but simply don’t have the time. I’d be interested in people’s opinions: how does this experience compare with the “click, sit back and watch” experience provided by Breeze?

Total cost for production and delivery software: $0

This entry was posted in wikis. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Adventures in WikiCasting: Fast, Free, and Out of Control