Duopoly is like, so Web 1.0

There’s only a Technorati breeze blowing right now, but I suspect it will be a gale soon enough — Blackboard has acquired WebCT (they call it a merger, you decide). I can’t say I have much to add to the general chorus of disbelief and confusion… although there is a certain inescapable logic to the process, it seems to have taken everyone by surprise.

It will be interesting to observe how the open source community responds to the new reality. And will a Microsoft of the LMS provoke a broader backlash on campuses? I suspect there will be a lot of overtime being put in by the marketing types.

As it happens, I will be in Orlando during the press conference they have scheduled for October 18th, though I won’t be blogging it live (oh darn). I’m going to be co-delivering a preconference seminar on portfolios and social software. So I will even miss the “mergercast” (doesn’t that term inspire confidence?)…

This entry was posted in Higher Ed. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Duopoly is like, so Web 1.0