Quickie cry for help…

After one of the more unpleasant travel days I’ve experienced, I’m here in Orlando (more on that later), but have been hampered considerably by a lack of internet connectivity at my hotel (and at the hotel of my co-presenters). I can get on the public wireless in the lobby, but when I use the ethernet in my room I get an IP using DHCP, but there’s no response from an internet browser.

Same thing with the wireless at Kele and Michelle C’s hotel… they have wireless, we all get assigned IPs just fine but we can’t do anything online. And Michelle C has pretty doggedly checked out potential problems like proxies, etc… I wonder if this is somehow related to us all being on Macs? The manager at K&M’s hotel was able to access everything from his PC.

So I’m just posting this on the off-chance someone else has experienced something like this and has a magic bullet solution. As usual, we plan on doing everything off a wiki, so being stuck off-line is a real handicap.

We all are connecting fine here at the conference center — but the conference hasn’t even started and I’m sick of this place already. This building and surrounding hotel and restaurant district is so inhuman it’s oddly stimulating…

Update — I still haven’t resolved internet access in my room, but I can pick up a weak but viable wireless signal here in the hotel bar. Not exactly Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese, but it beats working at the conference center. I suppose I’ll be trapped here, sucking back gin tonics until I get my work done… when’s closing time?

This entry was posted in Administrivia. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Quickie cry for help…