Podcast yummies

Just subscribed to this very promising course on Understanding Computers and the Internet from Harvard. Looks like lots of great stuff that could be useful in a whole lot of online contexts — hey, wasn’t this what learning objects were supposed to deliver?

Via Gardner, who can’t resist digging deeper:

But is it interactive?

Certainly can be. All good listening is interactive. All good listeners are co-creators. That’s not to say that the students should simply listen. No, eventually many or perhaps most of them should make their own podcasts. But there’s an art to listening well, just as there’s an art to reading well or viewing well, and that art is no mean craft. These arts probably aren’t complete unless they lead to speaking, writing, or designing oneself, but the practices are reciprocal, not mutually exclusive.

We need a theory of co-creation that maintains the vital distinction between writer and reader while articulating the common source of energy, inspiration, and attention that fuels them both, and the essential reciprocity that defines their relationship.

I might note that UBC’s Public Affairs unit has launched its own podcast series, mostly featuring high-profile speakers and the like. And there’s a lot of podcast activity bubbling beneath the surface here, the virtual presence of this campus is going to be a noisy place soon…

This entry was posted in Abject Learning. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Podcast yummies

1. iris says:

Hi,

I want to ask please how did u subscribed to the course? does this requier to be a Harverd student? what about people outside the course how can we benefit from the lectuers, slides ..etc?

Thanks

iris

2. Brian says:

Hi Iris,

I subscribed to the podcasts by going here:

http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~cscie1/?page=podcast&type=static

and copying the RSS link into iTunes.

No credit or anything, but it’s open to the world. There are supporting links on the sidebar of the page, though I’m not aware to links to slides.