BuddyPress as a university’s social network: case study

BuddyPress: Friends activity, originally uploaded by umwdtlt.

It’s exciting to see Jim Groom’s pioneering work integrating WordPress Multi-User with BuddyPress and bbPress not only being recognised, but being pushed forward in the higher ed community.

I highly recommend reading an overview written by Joss Winn at the Learning Lab at the University of Lincoln on their own efforts in this regard. As the a-listers like to say, read the whole thing, but here are a few teasers:

The final set up is really quite sweet. A member of the university goes to https://blogs.lincoln.ac.uk for the first time and logs in with their usual credentials. The first time they login, they are signed up. That’s it. No sign up page needed. It’s as if they were already a member of the social network, which, being members of the university, they are of course. From there, they see the BuddyPress home pages, can join groups, change their profiles and, when they’re ready, create or join a blog.

…I’ve finally finished setting it up for general use today. The few people that know about it and have already joined, instantly see the benefits of having the social networking layer on top of the blogs. I’m excited to see how this works out over time.

…The potential for supporting personalised and group online learning is now better than it’s ever been and the social networking element only helps bring peers together for collaboration and discussion.

Many thanks to Jim Groom and D’Arcy Norman who have been working on WordPressMU at their universities in ways which I hope we can emulate and contribute to here at the University of Lincoln.

It’s tantalizing to imagine maybe someday writing a blog post like this about our own experiences at UBC.

4 Responses to BuddyPress as a university’s social network: case study

1. Pingback: blogsFcom: BuddyPress en Abject Learning. Brian Lamb