No news day?

Click image to see more of the important stories of the day...

The image above lists the “must reads” selected by editors of the Toronto Star. And we need professional journalists to protect us from the shabby standards of bloggers, to provide us with experience and judgment in a saturated media environment? Vital to an informed citizenry (cough cough)…

If you click the image above, you can see a wider screenshot of the newspaper’s landing page. Apparently the most important story in the nation is that a professional golfer plans to golf. Other relevant stories include the travails of a figure skater, and the discovery of a body in a river. The only story with any conceivable sense of public interest concerns yet another automobile recall.

The Star is supposedly one of Canada’s better newspapers, and it does employ some good writers. I suppose the publishers would argue that their emphasis merely reflects their need to attract readers. But if this story selection reflects their opinion of the intelligence and debased values of their readership, what does that say about the likely quality of the journalism? And why, when I can consume idiotic garbage content for free in any number of media (including the free newspapers thrust at me at transit stops)… why would I pay for this?

4 Responses to No news day?