I just found out about Academic Writing Month via this link posted on Twitter by CTLT. It’s a cousin to National Novel Writing Month (#NaNoWriMo), during which people commit to completing a 50000 word draft of a novel. For #AcWriMo, the scope is broader: anyone engaged in academic writing can commit to a giant goal and go for it! What struck me most when reading about it was the acknowledgement that December is supposed to be a time of celebration, and yet it ends up being packed with work put off while classes are in session. Since May I’ve been trying to prioritize my mental and physical well-being, and #AcWriMo actually fits with that spirit. I happened to tweet I was interested, and the organizers (@PhD2Published) were so encouraging I decided to dive in and set some goals! Because we all know there’s good research evidence on the power of publicly declaring your goals, I offer them here. It may not meet a 50000 word mark, but these are the projects I aim to complete by November 30:
History of Psychology paper comparing my life journey in psychology to a famous psychologist. I’m choosing Mary Calkins, our first female APA President. (12 Pages)Finished November 6. 4494 words.
- Teaching of Psychology grad seminar course syllabus in preparation for next term (~8 pages, draft already complete) Progress November 13.
- Ethics application to study the learning outcomes of the Teaching of Psychology course (~5 pages) Progress November 15.
Finish grant application for Peer Review software/services Review (with collaborators) (~5 pages, draft already complete).Finished November 14.
- Complete draft of Team Testing manuscript (with N. Mirriahi from Arts ISIT) (~30 pages; currently have draft of 5 pages) Progress November 19.
- Magna proposal for e-seminar on Active Learning in Large Classes (~3 pages)
- Active Learning manuscript for publication (~20-30 pages; already 2 pages of notes collected)
Wow, that list includes everything I had planned to complete by the end of December. Some are already in progress but just need that extra push. #AcWriMo just may do the trick! Wouldn’t it be fabulous to have them done before December (at least in draft form)? So there they are, my goals for November. I’ll update as I go… now… time to begin!
Pingback: From #NaNoWriMo to #AcWriMo » 夢と愛の千夜一夜