Responding to Student Evaluations of Teaching 2013/2014

Thank you to each of my students who took the time to complete a student evaluation of teaching this year. Since the 2009/2010, my overall response rates across courses have been 54%, 55%, 49%, 62%. This 2013/2014 year, the response rate dropped to 47%, and I’m not sure why. I value hearing from each of you, and every year your feedback helps me to become a better teacher.

When I receive my evaluations, I take my time exploring and interpreting both the qualitative and quantitative feedback. I have created graphs depicting results from the University Module Items, which are 6 questions that are asked about every instructor across campus. I have posted those graphs (and the precise wording of each question) here for your consideration. With respect to the open-ended responses, I appreciate and consider every thoughtful comment. The ones I write about are typically those that reflect common themes echoed by numerous students.

I have posted a series of written reflections on the feedback I received from each of my courses. Links to these individual blog posts are collected here:

Reflections from 2013/2014: Psyc 101 and 102 introPsyc 208 special topics, Psyc 217 research methods, and Psyc 218 stats

If you wish to refer backwards in time, here are links to previous years’ posts:

Reflections from 2012/2013: Psyc 100 intro, Psyc 208 special topics, and Psyc 217 research methods

Reflections from 2011/2012: Psyc 100 intro, Psyc 208 special topics, Psyc 217 research methods, and Psyc 218 stats