Belgium, Here I Come!

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, I’m finally getting my Go Global experience! If you are a regular to my blog you may recall that first I really really wanted to go on exchange, then found out that it wasn’t going to fit into my degree, and then was really disappointed when everyone else got their acceptances for their magical exchanges in far off lands while I was stuck at home. And while UBC is totally amazing and everything, I was still very disappointed.

But then, about a month ago, I received an email from the school of music saying that a research project involving gesture-tracking software was looking for third and fourth year musicians to participate, and that the project will be going to Belgium for two weeks to collaborate with students at another university there. I was so excited! This would be my chance to go experience another country as part of my UBC education.

At the moment, I’m not 100% clear on what exactly the research is going to entail, but I’m very excited to find out. Also, I haven’t technically received the Participation Agreement yet, but I have been accepted into the program, so I feel like it isn’t too early to celebrate. If it is, well, whatever. But for now I’ll be daydreaming of Belgium!

4 Comments

Filed under Academics, School of Music

4 Responses to Belgium, Here I Come!

1. Courtney

YAY! :D That’s so exciting!
    Out of curiosity, is there co-op for music students?

2. Avril

Hi Samantha!

I was reading some of your posts (I love your writing, by the way, it’s so much fun) because I will be coming to UBC in a few days. They were very helpful, thank you. But then I came across a little word at the bottom of the page that caught my attention: Belgium.

The fun thing is, that’s what I’ll be leaving behind going on exchange to UBC. I was so surprised to see that you’re going where I’m leaving and I was wondering what university you will be attending? If you need any help whatsoever (even if you just want to know about where to go for chocolates…), let me know! I’ll be glad to help.

My university’s KUL (Catholic University of Leuven). I’m an arts student and I’ll be taking up some English courses at UBC. I’m very excited.