This year I was fortunate enough to land a Work Study position as an usher/front of house person for the School of Music’s Wednesday Noon Hour concert series. It was a really great experience and right now I am going to tell you why in the form of a bulleted list because frankly I like bulleted lists:
- My coworkers were lovely and my boss was incredibly kind. Many times she said to me, “Have I told you how glad I am to have you on the team?”
- The work was enjoyable and related to my field. If I ever want to put on my own concert or help someone else put one on, or if I want to go into concert production, I know how to do it.
- I got to listen to lots of great musicians.
- Sometimes, if there were evening concerts, I’d get to eat reception food. Nom nom nom.
- The hours were very manageable (on average two hours per week, for my particular position) and fit right into my class schedule.
- The pay was good.
- I was given plenty of opportunity to grow and to take responsibility, without feeling overwhelmed and still having support when I needed it.
- I definitely improved my problem solving skills.
Overall a very positive experience and I look forward to going back next year!