How Much is Too Much?

When it comes to involvement, I have always whole-heartedly supported the idea that getting involved really makes your time at university meaningful. Under-involvement isn’t something I’m really a fan of. But, when deciding to become involved in your university experience, how much is too much?

Well… I’m not entirely sure of that answer, at the moment. I’m sure that it’s different for everyone. I think that you have to figure out how much time you need to go to class and study while also taking good care of yourself, and the time that remains is game for extra-curricular activities. What if your course load is so heavy you don’t have any time? Well, try to do something small, something with a very small time commitment. Or do things over reading week or summer break. Get involved within your own faculty so it relates to your studies. Just avoid the “go to school, go home” trap that honestly is a total downer.

This year, I’ve upped my involvement because last year I felt like I wasn’t doing enough. This year, in addition to playing in more ensembles and having to put on a recital, I’m now the treasurer of an AMS club, I’m still blogging, I’m working a Work Study position, and I’m part of a research course that will be doing a Go Global Study Abroad trip in February. My plate is feeling very full. I’m not quite at the point of being overwhelmed just yet, and I’m hoping that if I do get to that point I can handle it. (Time management skills, FTW!) And, if I do find that I took on too much this year, I can always scale it back next year.

For now, I’ll take things one day at a time and just keep loving this experience I’m so privileged to have.

1 Comment

Filed under Uncategorized

One Response to How Much is Too Much?

1. Ermagod. I’m questioning myself on the same thing right now XD Hopefully I haven’t taken on too much this year!

It’s been great to see you again recently :)