Joining in from sunshiny, yet frozen Edmonton

Hi everyone!

I am excited to be starting course eight of the MET program along with all of you! I have completed the four core courses along with ETEC 521: Indigeneity, Technology and Education, ETEC 532: Technology in the Arts and Humanities Classroom, and ETEC 540: Text Technologies: The Changing Spaces of Reading and Writing.

As mentioned in my title, I am presently living in Edmonton, Alberta and am working as a distance learning elementary teacher through an independent BC school. Although working with a younger student demographic, I am hoping that this course will provide insight into meaningful ways of intersecting technology with science and mathematical learning. I am approaching this course with a very open mind and hope to glean theoretical ideologies and practical affordances that can be transferred and adapted to my personal educational goals.

One newer trend in education is the implementation of STEM activities in a student’s learning plan. Educators, parents and students seem excited to engage in this inquiry based learning approach, however from my own experience with STEM resources, I haven’t seen a lot of resources that intersect all four areas of learning and skills: science, technology, engineering and mathematics.

On a personal level, I am married to a drummer and scientist who programs video games in the fringe hours of his day. We are growing up four daughters ages seven to thirteen, and are always keeping our hearts and ears open for a grand adventure!

Looking forward to spending these next winter months with you, hunkering down –  a perfect time of year to do some learning and growing.

~ Jessica

1. Hi Jessica,

I look forward to working with you in another course! I noticed when reading your course list that I have taken all of the same electives as you have – we must have similar interests! I share your interest in STEM activities and have found from my own explorations and teachings, that I question the actual “teaching” behind some of the STEM activities I have seen modeled. Since beginning the MET program, I have become increasingly aware of the fact that I have used some activities (both digital technology-based and STEM) that in hindsight, I cannot support with any research or even good teaching practices. I have been guilty of using digital technology, in some cases, more because the students enjoy it, than because I can defend the learning or concepts taught through its use. I am really looking forward to this course as a way of expanding my own understanding of the research and philosophies behind the use of digital-technology and STEM activities, and how to effectively incorporate them into the math/science classroom.
    I look forward to working with you in this course!

Take care,
    Mary

2. HI Jessica,
    Sounds like you have your hands full. I agree this term is ideal for taking courses and learning new things. As you mentioned it is the hunkering down time. Like you I also am looking forward to learning how to effectively incorporate more tech into my science and math classes. Good luck,
    Catherine

3. How is Edmonton Jessica? We are in a bit of a deep freeze for Vancouver (only -7C) though. I look forward to learning more about the STEM integration into learning plans that you mentioned and the Ab science and math curriculum, Samia

4. Hi Jessica,

I agree that there should be more focus on developing resources from the perspective of combining and integrating the four areas, rather than simply develop technology for the sake of technology (or merely “convenience”). I think coming into this course with that approach will really help guide our thinking.

Looking forward to working with you!

-Lawrence

5. Jessica,

Great to have you with us this term! I was thinking of your comments about parent/student appetite for inquiry based learning…as a math teacher, I often feel left out by the inquiry approach. The examples of inquiry projects I have found for math have felt a bit contrived, so I am hoping to discover some new perspectives in this course.

Four girls at home sounds like a riot…I imagine something like Pride and Prejudice (but without the constant pressure to marry). Good luck this term!

Josh