Math Practice Time Anyone?

Eleven years ago I started working with distance learning students whose families had chosen to teach their children at home. Many of these families were barely comfortable sending an email, and as an educator, I was figuring out how to use technology to meet the needs of my students. We were all at the beginning of a huge learning curve.

Specifically related to mathematics, I sought out online resources with hopes to provide opportunity for students to practice learned math skills in a varied process using such tools as Mathletics, CTC Math, and IXL Math. Although all well-developed resources, typically only about twenty percent of my students would readily engage in these types of online activities at any one time; most families would much rather work with hands-on activities or paper-based curriculum. These math practice sites are mainly skill and drill based, or contain step-by-step problems that require formulaic processes. I wonder if a more problem solving, inquiry based technology tools such as Dragonbox were offered, if students would be more eager to participate?

Questions:

1. For my younger students, mathematical resources have been considered as supplementary to a core curriculum. At a higher level, could mathematical concepts be effectively taught and learned solely through an online tool, or is the need to verbally discuss, visually represent and use tactile exploration a required aspect of fully understanding mathematical skills and concepts?
  2. What inquiry mathematics apps and online resources are available to encourage students in creative problem solving and inquiry based learning?

1. Hi Jessica,

In regards to your first question, I am still of the mind sight that for the general student ‘teaching’ – specifically effective teaching – involves a physical act of demonstrating, discussing, and reviewing with the student. Having taught senior math in the past, I have yet to find a proper online tool that that could be relied upon solely for instruction. Most of the tools, as you mention, help support and supplement a lesson and have yet to replace classroom instruction completely. This is especially evident for more complex math operations or calculations that are difficult to represent online (unless presented like a classroom lesson like those by Khan Academy).

Thanks for the post!

1. Thanks, Darren, for your perspective. As a teacher at a distance learning school, I am aware that there are definitely online/fully technology based curriculums for higher grade levels, but like you said, the need for lessons to be presented as though in a classroom is essential. At younger levels, the explaining and discussion is highly valuable in students demonstrating sound thinking skills and a thorough understanding. I’m guessing that this would be applicable at higher levels as well which may not be promoted through an online curriculum.