Module B TELEs Summary and Synthesis

Anchored Instruction & Jasper SKI & WISE LfU & MyWorld T-Gem &

Chemland

Description Learning and teaching activities should be designed around an “anchor” which is often a story, adventure, or situation that includes a problem or issue to be dealt with.

SKI describes Scaffolded Knowledge Integration and WISE is a web-based science inquiry environment designed to promote “life-long learning” in science. Learning for Use is a framework created with learning environment designers in mind for content intensive, inquiry-based science activities.

Chemland simulations have the potential to be used with the T-GEM approach as well as for promoting student engagement.
Components Anchored instruction is knowledge-centred and learner-centred, as well as focuses on assessment. Extremely flexible and easy to adapt. Based on four principals and three pillars* T-Gem focused on  Technology Pedagogy Content Knowledge (TPCK)
Goals Because the activities are in the form of a story thinking is visible; it allows for self-directed learning. Similar to Anchored Instruction thinking is visible.  WISE promotes collaboration and lifelong learning. LfU aims to motivate students as well as construct their understanding.  Students must also refine their thinking.  LfU is goal-directed, using scaffolding in the application of knowledge.  The context in which material is acquired is important. The teacher acts as a guide to help students generate information, engage and evaluate their ideas.  Modifications are made as needed.  Learning is  student-directed.
Theories · Inquiry-based

·Cognitive theory

·Constructivist

·Activity theory

Inquiry-based

·Cognitive theory

·Constructivist

·Activity theory

·Situated learning Theory

Inquiry-based

·Cognitive theory

·Constructivist

·Activity theory

· Inquiry-based

·Cognitive theory

·Constructivist

·Activity theory

* Edelson, D.C. (2001). Learning-for-use: A framework for the design of technology-supported inquiry activities. Journal of Research in Science Teaching,38(3), 355-385.

Entering this module, I really did not have any formal knowledge about TELEs. I have definitely acquired tools that I can see myself applying in my future class.  I especially liked the WISE learning platform, because it easy to use as well as easy to edit.  Many sites that I come across are not ELL friendly and I have to do significant modifications to use them in my classes, WISE presented itself as straightforward and student friendly all while getting the necessary information across to students.  I won’t lie there are many times as a science teacher I am overwhelmed; the balance between covering outcomes and ensuring technology is introduced in class is always a challenging one.  Nevertheless, I am making it my responsibility to increase my use of technology enhanced learning environments in my classroom.  I really do believe that these environments allow students to enhance their thinking and take their science knowledge to another level.  Allowing students to make mistakes, reflect, and remodel their thinking on whatever topics are covered, allows students to grow in their learning.  I think as a teacher that we are rushing so much to cover and finish our material that we do not allow enough time for students to reflect on their learning and make the necessary changes to achieve maximum success.  Very interesting module, thank you.

One comment

1. Thank you Haneefa-noted are your use of theories underlying each of these instructional phases. I might add, for those interested in exploring the theory behind T-GEM, to check out model-based teaching and learning theory.

Best regards, Samia