Hello from Winnipeg, MB

Hello,

My name is Derek Cowan and I am excited to be starting my sixth MET course. I have been teaching for the last nine years in a large elementary school in Winnipeg, Manitoba. I am currently teaching grade five. I took my B.A., B. Ed. and PBDE all at the University of Manitoba. I am looking forward to exploring new ways to integrate technology in  math and science.

On a personal note, I love spending my time traveling and being as active as possible.

Thanks!

1. Hi Derek,

Nice to “see” you in another course, and looking forward to learning with you together this term. I was curious what ‘PBDE’ was and what’s the most interesting place you’ve traveled to so far?

Andrew

1. Yes, always nice to “see” familiar people when starting courses. It’s a Post-Baccalaureate Diploma in Education. The University of Manitoba’s program was a 30 credit hour program usually for specializing in an areas like resource or counseling. I couldn’t begin to choose the most interesting place. I just love heading out and exploring. Look forward to learning with you this term as well.

2. Hi Derek

When I graduated high school (1980), I cycled across Canada with my friend. We made it to Medicine Hat, Alberta — where we battled headwinds and we were getting very frustrated. So we skipped the prairies and jumped on the train to Winnipeg — where we spent a couple of days before continuing to Halifax.

Christopher