Editorial: A GAP in Their Logic

Posted by: | January 26, 2007 | 48 Comments

March 8 is International Women’s Day. Established in 1977 by the UN, it is a tribute to the continuing struggle and progress for women’s rights and women’s diversity.

This year at UBC, on this day, the GAP (Genocide Awareness Project) is planning to show pictures of aborted fetuses and try to equate that to the Holocaust, claiming it’s genocide. The GAP is the ultimate misnomer, a semantic exercise in bullshit. They solely exist to make women feel bad about the prospect of abortion, a reprehensible tactic to say the least. The fact that it’s mostly men each year holding those signs is even more revealing of this oppressive anti-woman agenda.

UBC Okanagan and Carleton have banned them. AMS Council entertained a motion to ban them, and the motion was defeated. Moreover, UBC’s Policy #3 states:

“Behaviour which obstructs free and full discussion, not only of ideas which are safe and accepted, but of those which may be unpopular or even abhorrent . . . cannot be tolerated.”

Therefore, they technically have a right to be here and voice their point of view. And one of these writers has previously publicly supported their right to protest.

For the record, Gina despises them with every single fibre of her body. She takes it personal and it’s emotional. At the same time, she sees that they do have the right to voice their views, and she plans on exercising those very same rights by organizing a counter-campaign. Tim was more likely to laugh at them than to be viscerally offended. To look at their argument is to see the most inane of human logic. He always found the GAP argument to be more stupid and ignorant than dangerous, per se.

But we can’t help but wonder, in this case, if the GAP case is teasing at the fringes of freedom of speech. By timing their demonstration with International Women’s Day, they’re making a statement. It’s clearly driven by a lack of respect, a scorn for the institution and for the political beliefs. The right to free speech is not absolute. And while they’re not crossing it, they’re definitely getting close enough to thumb their noses at it.

We support the expression of unpopular ideas. But Lifeline and GAP are coming dangerously close to crossing the line from unpopular and stupid, to hateful.

Click here for the related discussion on Policy Motions.

48 Comments so far

1. Meghan on January 26, 2007 8:40 pm

I’ve seen these folks before on Campus and I don’t like them.

I really don’t need to see those pictures. If they want to go on with their point of view, be my guest, but I don’t need to see pictures of abortions. And if they have the whole, ‘If you don’t like it, don’t look’ it’s moot because most people want to know what it is, and by the time they’ve figured it out, they’ve already seen the pictures.

Freedom of speech is fine, but I don’t see why we have to allow them to use the pictures they do, and at the size they are. If they wanted a smaller poster where people can look if they choose to, that’s alright. But by having them so large, they’re making everyone who walks by at least take a peek, and I know most women in particular, no matter their stance on the issue, do not want to see graphic pictures.

Nobody wants to see graphic pictures.

2. Meghan on January 26, 2007 8:40 pm

Nobody wants to see graphic pictures.

3. trozman on January 26, 2007 9:31 pm

meghan

I think that’s the point. They want you to associate abortion with disgustingness (they obviously don’t know about fetal soup, which, for the record, is absolutely delicious). It’s the same tactic used by the crackpots at PETA, except replace the mutilated humans with mutilated chickens.

Vegetarians don’t want to smell meat (BBQ place outside SUB). War supporters don’t want to hear about fallen soldiers (booth on Remembrance day; they could be killed civilians, I’m not sure). Yet both those groups will smell and hear, respectively, if they walk by.

Anyways, here’s a thought. Why not go after street billboards. They’re humongous, and some of the females depicted on there are obscene, and nobody wants obscenity! (Welcome to 1955!)

4. trozman on January 26, 2007 9:31 pm

meghan

5. VA on January 26, 2007 10:07 pm

I can live with their billboards. After all, I’ve made barbecued tripe before and I’ve gutted a sheep myself, and I used to watch the medical channel. Bloody innards don’t faze me, though anyone who has to use such cheap shots to convince other people of the truth of their stance is obviously not sure whether their stance is really true.

What really gets my goat is their horrible, woman-hating rhetoric. They are basically saying that women who have abortions are equal to Hitler and Stalin and other people who massacred millions of people. That’s horrible and deceitful, but since they’re not singling out identifiable women and calling them murderers, they’re technically doing nothing wrong. Legally, anyway.

Part of the danger of freedom of speech is the fact that so long as you don’t actually commit acts of slander or libel, or actually broadcast hate speech, you can insinuate anything untrue about anyone and it’s technically all right. That’s why the GAP is permitted on campus — because it’s not saying “Susie is a murderer,” but rather it’s putting a picture of what they scraped out of Susie beside pictures of mass Holocaust graves.

And all this without even mentioning how disrespectful it is to equate the suffering of millions of people who were enslaved, imprisoned and killed under fascist governments with the termination of something that isn’t even fully human yet.

6. VA on January 26, 2007 10:07 pm

7. Rebecca on January 26, 2007 11:09 pm

Hey,
    I was wondering if a counter protest has or will be organized.If it has not been is there a possibility of one happening and under what group would this occur?

8. Rebecca on January 26, 2007 11:09 pm

Hey,

9. Tim Louman-Gardiner on January 26, 2007 11:13 pm

Rebecca,

I’m sure there will be one. There always is.

Typically the Women’s Centre and many of the resource groups are involved in a counter-protest, where they try to block the view of the signs across their buffer zone.

10. Tim Louman-Gardiner on January 26, 2007 11:13 pm

Rebecca,

11. Britt on January 27, 2007 12:46 am

Oh lord, not again. Everything others have posted here so far is right on, especially the bits about comparisons to the Holocaust. It’s just disgusting. They should be able to make their point without BS rhetoric and giant, graphic photos that don’t actually accurately represent abortion.

12. Britt on January 27, 2007 12:46 am

13. Gina Eom on January 27, 2007 1:47 am

One of the things I find offensive is that it’s mostly men who are handing out flyers and selectively give them to women.

It sets up an oppressive power dynamic which women have fought so hard against.

14. Gina Eom on January 27, 2007 1:47 am

15. Anonymous on January 27, 2007 2:18 am

When the GAP showed up at the University of Oregon this summer, I happened to be on campus with a friend, so we went down so she could take some pictures for her photography class and just see what exactly was going on. Not only were the GAP volunteers self-righteous and demeaning, they were happiliy inconsistent in their logic. While I was talking to one man, he flat-out said that he supported distorting the issue with shock tactics and emotional manipulation in order to make his point. He stated that life is sacred and taking it away is abominable – unfortunately his ironclad ethical retort was undercut by one of his colleagues responding to a question about rape with “Well of course if a man rapes a woman, I personally think he should just be shot, but that doesn’t give us the right to take away a baby’s life.” Yes, ma’am, all life in indeed sacred.

Fortunately, not everything that came out of the fiasco was ugly – campus women’s groups and Planned Parenthood got a ton of signatures and pledges, which really warms one’s heart.

-Gerritt

16. Anonymous on January 27, 2007 2:18 am

-Gerritt

17. Anonymous on January 27, 2007 4:46 am

i want to weigh in on this.

first, it seems that the group organizing the GAP display (UBC’s student club, Lifeline) will be looking into a different date that does not coincide with International Women’s Day (which was started in 1910 in Stuttgart, Germany by Clara Zetkin).

As for the display of their billboards – i agree with the discussion of free speech. Earlier last term they organized and held an “Abortion Debate” which was a forum to display their opinions and strongly partial monologue on the issue of baby-killing. (the neutrality of this debate was hotly contested). However, holding the debate is rightly within the speech guidelines published by the university, including their questionable “debate” tactic.

However, the use of the GAP display – the particular images juxtaposing aborted fetuses with images of various genocides throughout history (the Holocause, Rwanda, lynchings in the US South) is racist, anti-semitist, and sexist, and displays not *free* speech, but rather *hate* speech, characterized by the targeting of specific groups on campus (women, people of colour, jewish students) and invoking hateful language and images that are effectively silence and injure the targeted groups.

There is no place for this on UBC campus and I ask what AMS candidates intend to do to communicate with the University on behalf of students who feel intentionally targeted and marginalized by this issue.

18. Anonymous on January 27, 2007 4:46 am

i want to weigh in on this.

19. Gina Eom on January 27, 2007 6:22 am

but rather *hate* speech, characterized by the targeting of specific groups on campus (women, people of colour, jewish students) and invoking hateful language and images that are effectively silence and injure the targeted groups.

I’m going to ask former VP Admins to comment on this. There *must* have been precedent rulings by the University which allowed them to stay despite of their borderline hateful messages.

Josh? David? Manj?

20. Gina Eom on January 27, 2007 6:22 am

Josh? David? Manj?

21. trozman on January 27, 2007 8:23 am

anonymous

(the Holocause, Rwanda, lynchings in the US South) is racist, anti-semitist, and sexist, and displays not *free* speech, but rather *hate* speech, characterized by the targeting of specific groups on campus (women, people of colour, jewish students) and invoking hateful language and images that are effectively silence and injure the targeted groups.

I was not aware that the Vancouver Holocaust Education Centre, which shows the same photographs, was an organization that promoted hate speech against Jews. Suddenly, I like them a whole lot more.

(I really hope you’re just trying to troll… )

22. trozman on January 27, 2007 8:23 am

anonymous

23. Lily on January 27, 2007 8:32 am

I heard that a similar display (or perhaps the same display) caused an eruption of violence from other schools, when they put up their displays on a Jewish holiday. (http://www.refuseandresist.org/resist_this/100198antis.html)

Also, is it true that GAP demands highly expensive security at the University’s expense in order “to prevent violence,” and then threaten to sue if the University refuses?

24. Lily on January 27, 2007 8:32 am

25. Mike Thicke on January 27, 2007 8:53 am

There is a difference between restricting what people say and restricting how they say it. Whoever wants to can say they are against abortion, that’s not a problem. The problem is doing it in an extremely offensive and oppressive way. UBC should have no problem banning such displays, in my opinion.

I’m actually perversely happy that they are taking this move, because it should make it blatantly obvious to everyone just how offensive these people are, and that something does need to be done about them.

26. Mike Thicke on January 27, 2007 8:53 am

27. Tim Louman-Gardiner on January 27, 2007 9:37 am

Mike,

I’m in complete agreement. My support of their move is perverse for the precise same reason you articulate – they’re stupid and proudly showing it.

28. Tim Louman-Gardiner on January 27, 2007 9:37 am

Mike,

29. R Corbett on January 27, 2007 10:50 am

There are various issues at stake; however, it is fundamentally impossible to look at the usage of these historical images, lifted without consent, permission or courtesy, taken in a specific context, and for a specific political aim, as anything but inappropriate and exploitative.

However, the danger that lies rather unseen, is not in the fact that person believe in the “right to life”, but rather that these individual canonize their movement with a grossly misguided sense of righteousness, proclaiming that when the world looks back upon this time in history- what side do you want to be on (of course believing their own rhetoric).

Finally, it is a little known fact that this entire movement is run/bankrolled/cult-ed out of a quite wealthy Californian lawyer’s pocket.

I for one would like to see the poster/billboard featuring that (Caucasian, affluent, male) face, entitled “dear women of the world, this is the face of the man who feels he has the decisive power to govern your bodies and these are his followers….”

Perhaps it’s a project for the next few weeks.

(and of course, there will be a counter-protest, and as in my experience, the male members of lifeline will make every effort to bully and “debate” with anyone willing to indulge them)

30. R Corbett on January 27, 2007 10:50 am

31. Anonymous on January 27, 2007 10:10 pm

don’t stand out there with signs that are usually equally as dumb and ill-conceived as your opposition.

we’re all people. somewhere along the way these people got the idea that they should tell women what to do with their bodies. the questions that this blog should be asking are:

why are they concerned with womens’ bodies?
    is this about religion? or does it come from some fear about cloning or genetic screening?
    what kind of people put on this display year after year to constant criticism and general disdain, i believe. i mean, who the fuck are these people?
    and who the fuck are those women? why are these women telling other women what to do? they must have a reason. they can’t just be evil.

does this affect anyone but the hacks involved? do regular students even care? it’s fucking annoying, but the aborted baby pictures are enough. i don’t need more people pushing me away with “shut up fetus freaks” posters. it just makes me not want to go to the sub. quietly hand out leaflets if you must.

and isn’t this a university? aren’t we supposed to be smart enough to figure things out? and talk reasonably about things? and if the other person isn’t speaking reasonably, we still try to speak reasonably because this is a place where we can and must try. if you care about women, don’t protest the gap. help women in the downtown eastside. make a display about that. show the paintings of the women who pickton murdered while we studied and dined and fucked and slept. that’s what matters. the gap hasn’t mattered for years.

abortion is up to people that can concieve babies. yes gina, it’s fucking annoying that those guys show up to lifeline displays. but it probably had something to do with them being lonely and wanting to hangout in a club with lots of girls. or maybe they have messiah complexes. who knows? get over it.

if you hate the G.A.P. (as opposed to the GAP) why not come up with an equally “eye-catching” display that satirically mocks the gap. or better yet, bring those missing women paintings to ubc. fuck this shit. i’m sick of the gap, and i’m sick of the fact that the ams still dicks around with the gap and the ubyssey still covers it when it should be in the fucking classifieds or something. not the fucking front page. it’s not fucking news.

32. Anonymous on January 27, 2007 10:10 pm

free speech is free speech. you can’t start imposing sizes on posters. that’s what makes vancouver so fucking boring.

33. Anonymous on January 27, 2007 10:10 pm

34. Anonymous on January 27, 2007 10:10 pm

35. Gina Eom on January 27, 2007 10:52 pm

it just makes me not want to go to the sub. quietly hand out leaflets if you must.

Hey, just to clarify they’re not going to be inside of the SUB, but they’ll be at the plateau outside (next to the Knoll)

36. Gina Eom on January 27, 2007 10:52 pm

37. Anonymous on January 28, 2007 3:20 am

thanks for the 411 gina

38. Anonymous on January 28, 2007 3:20 am

thanks for the 411 gina

39. Anonymous on January 28, 2007 4:07 am

sorry for the obscenities earlier. i think we’re on the same page. i didn’t mean to ream you out. your post, as so many on this blog, touched a nerve. that’s a good thing. good work girl.

40. Anonymous on January 28, 2007 4:07 am

41. Rowyn on January 30, 2007 8:24 pm

Rebecca, and anyone else interested,

Students for Choice, with help from other campus organizations always holds some sort of protest against the GAP display. Usually it involved holding large canvas banners that say “choice” on them, and act as a blinder for people to walk past if they don’t want to see the GAP display images. If you want to keep up to date about what is being planned either email studentsforchoice_ubc@hotmail.com, or womyncentre@gmail.com to get on the email list to keep updated.

42. Rowyn on January 30, 2007 8:24 pm

Rebecca, and anyone else interested,

43. Anonymous on February 1, 2007 4:08 am

There are many things I would like to clarify in relation to the numerous comments posted here, but instead I would invite the individuals who posted them to initiate a conversation with one of Lifeline’s members at either the G.A.P display or one of our other events on campus this semester. This way, it will be easier to discuss face to face, and to understand the other person’s ideas. I would like to clarify the accusation that we were trying to undermine or disrespect the importance of International Women’s Day.

I, as a woman, feel that I should have the opportunity to celebrate and call for the right to life and safety of unborn women just as much as born women. Particularly on a day which not only recognizes our struggles and victories in the past, but also looks forward to those yet to be encountered.

Nevertheless, at the request of the University, we have changed the date of G.A.P so as not to cause the extra security problems that they foresaw. And just a little side note, we don’t request security from the university; they request that we have it!

Thank you for reading and I hope that I have been able to convey my point clearly.

Lorena (Lifeline President)

44. Anonymous on February 1, 2007 4:08 am

Lorena (Lifeline President)

45. Gina Eom on February 4, 2007 2:22 am

Thanks to Lorena for replying. Personally I find it much easier to communicate in writing as it allows for rational thoughts to be expressed. I also ask you to respect the busy schedule which a lot of us hold, so I decline your invitation to one of your events.

However, why don’t you invite your GAPees to view this blog and participate in the ongoing discussions, if you are disinclined to do so yourself.

46. Gina Eom on February 4, 2007 2:22 am

47. tired of both sides, and the argument in general on February 5, 2007 7:43 am

I’m so tempted to get a sign saying something like “The world is overpopulated. Save people from suffering by killing your baby now!” Or “We’re all going to die anyway, does it really matter how we die?”

I think both sides will probably hate me a lot.

Actually, it’d be the funniest to cover up their whole thing by having a big carnival right infront of it or something- lots of loud, blaring music, people dancing and cheering, maybe a few musical numbers and acrobats. XD

48. tired of both sides, and the argument in general on February 5, 2007 7:43 am