Thoughts on an Election

Posted by: | January 31, 2007 | 25 Comments

My computer has unceremoniously fried itself. This angers me. It also means my ability to respond to comments instantaneously is greatly reduced, as is my ability to create a thoughtful, well-reasoned post.

So, in the style of the “real” media, I present not-quite-formed thoughts, in short, digestible sentence form!

1) I’ll bet The Thunderbird didn’t get the permission of the copyright holder of the photo in this article. I’m not positive, but I doubt they have the right to use it. Way to go, J-school!
2) This blog has had hits from Rogers media in Ottawa, a gadzillion UBC administrators, and, most amusingly, Translink. Repeatedly. Searching for various U-Pass search terms.
3) Candidates have even stopped showing up to all-candidates debates. Apparently yesterday this was particularly acute. I wouldn’t know, of course. I wasn’t there either ;-)
4) Let Them Eat Cake has clearly educated himself about campus issues, and he, like, expresses opinions. That’s, like, awesome.
5) The Underground also has interesting elections info. Worth a read.
6) I think we have to consider VFM to have been a success. Even though it won’t boost voter turnout, it certainly helped drive debate, it differentiated candidates, influenced them, and created an actual discussion. Yay.
6a) We need to stop seeing turnout as the endpoint, as a goal in engagement. It’s a symptom of an engaged populus, not a goal unto itself.
7) Last, a question for candidates: has all the extra time spent answering ‘media’ questions been worth it? I have my opinion, but I’m curious to hear that of the people whose time we all spent…

25 Comments so far

1. Anonymous on January 31, 2007 3:55 am

Sadly I was unable to find The Underground’s election coverage in time to vote for them in the VFM contest online. Let this be a lesson to future VFM candidates.

2. Anonymous on January 31, 2007 3:55 am

3. -Fp on January 31, 2007 4:09 am

Hum, if I’m correct, the picture was sent by Spencer Keys himself.

Perhaps you should check yourself with the THunderbird before mentionning something like that.

4. -Fp on January 31, 2007 4:09 am

5. Gina Eom on January 31, 2007 4:14 am

It’s Francis from the Thunderbird up there! Hi Francis!

I’m sure Spencer will correct us on this blog. He comments with vigor ;)

Thanks for stopping by!

Gina

6. Gina Eom on January 31, 2007 4:14 am

Thanks for stopping by!

Gina

7. Spencer on January 31, 2007 4:45 am

Yeah, it was sent by me. But that’s not Tim’s point. It was a photo taken by the people at Imagine, though I haven’t the foggiest idea who exactly. I was asked if I had any pictures of me doing president-type stuff and that was the best I had, but I wasn’t asked if it was my own or who deserved the credit for it.

8. Spencer on January 31, 2007 4:45 am

9. Tim Louman-Gardiner on January 31, 2007 4:47 am

In effect Spencer didn’t have the right to distribute the photo.

It was taken by Ka-Kei Law, but I suspect the copyright is actually owned by the office that commissioned the photo.

10. Tim Louman-Gardiner on January 31, 2007 4:47 am

11. -Fp on January 31, 2007 5:29 am

Good work, Tim. Thanks for pointing that up. We’re removing the picture now.

The policy is usually that someone sending a picture has the copyright. But as it seems we didn’t ask, the mistake was done in good faith.

Cheers,

-Fp

12. -Fp on January 31, 2007 5:29 am

Cheers,

-Fp

13. Gina Eom on January 31, 2007 5:45 am

Timbits is such a law student…

14. Gina Eom on January 31, 2007 5:45 am

Timbits is such a law student…

15. Tim Louman-Gardiner on January 31, 2007 5:53 am

I didn’t mean to imply bad faith in any way.

16. Tim Louman-Gardiner on January 31, 2007 5:53 am

17. Amina on January 31, 2007 6:01 am

Gina/Tim – great website, thanks so much for all of your work and coverage.

I find it ironic that I’ve seen more about the media’s coverage on the elections than the actual candidate campaigning themselves.

Back in my day…O dear God I’m beginning to sound like my father…

18. Amina on January 31, 2007 6:01 am

19. Gina Eom on January 31, 2007 6:14 am

I’m ready to graduate as well Amina. Case in point:
    This Post

;)

20. Gina Eom on January 31, 2007 6:14 am

This Post

;)

21. Brendon Goodmurphy on January 31, 2007 8:17 am

I think its funny about the question posed to candidates: I spent way more time answering the media’s questions, which I think was, for the most part, useful. But it also caused for less time (and more importantly energy) to do wild campaigning, which seems to garner criticism… just a thought…

22. Brendon Goodmurphy on January 31, 2007 8:17 am

23. Gina Eom on January 31, 2007 8:49 am

Personally, I think answering media questions would have deducted no more than 5% of my campaign time. I’d have campaigned during the day, and met with media between classroom announcements.

24. Gina Eom on January 31, 2007 8:49 am

25. KK Law on March 23, 2007 11:45 pm

Hahaha, i just came across this post. I took the photo of Spencer and as in most cases with photography, it’s the photographer that retains all copyrights and ownership of the images (intellectual property) unless it’s explicitly transferred in the contract (work for hire etc.) which if you’re a working photographer such as myself you never do. Instead, we would grant usage licenses with associated fees, much like royalties.

Anyways, Spencer contacted me about using the photo and I gave him permission but it’s cool to read people actually discussing usage rights in favor of the photographer for once!

Cheers,
    KK