Best of AMS Elections 2008

Posted by: | January 26, 2008 | 20 Comments

Hi everyone still reading the Insiders. This is Serious Steve from the Devil’s Advocate, bringing you the Best of the 2008 AMS Elections, as nominated by the VFM candidates and decided by me. (And before you ask, yes, yes I did hack the Insiders website. Because I’m that good. Watch my post stay up here too!)

Best Election Picture

Shawn from Eat Cake takes this category with a stunning rendition of Mistress Rennie. Unfortunate for Erin that she didn’t get the President position, since she won’t be able to get a job for a while.
Read more wonderful results behind the jump!

Honourable mentions:
Gerald from The Insiders and Peter from the Cavalier pick up honourary mentions in this category, for gratuitious pictures of my ass and “Che Allison, AMS President.” Watch for the revolution to arrive in your [University] neighbourhood soon.

Best Waste of a VFM Entry

Joey Coleman with Macleans on Campus! This was a clear-cut win. Joey isn’t at UBC, and didn’t cover the election at all! Talk about wasting some money. The silly thing is, Macleans is a brand name so silly voters may give him money. Thanks to the Radical Beer Tribune (also strangely lacking in coverage) for the nomination.

Honourable mentions: The 4 “we’re in it for the money” 32, and the Underground (nominated by themselves, appropriately enough).

Best Dressed Candidate

Fire Hydrant Peets! This was a bit closer contest, but we felt that the elegant white and red lines of Fire’s costume (not to mention the racing stripes) really carried the day. Thanks Peter at the Cavalier for the nomination.

Honourable mention: Irish Courage, for “being one bad-ass motherfucking leprechaun”, and “Scary” Mike “the Rabbi” Kushnir.

Also check out Maayan’s fashion report soon to come at the Devil’s Advocate – reporting the fashion faux pas of candidates and Speakers alike.

Best Word of the Campaign

bloggify, v. The act of using all your skills in magic to transfigure some form of content to a “blog” format. (definition from Eat Cake)

I really have to thank Rodrigo for this one. (And as a side note, Rodrigo really rocked the Jam Space that was the Gallery post-election! Wow!)

Honourable mention: Flyerfuck (a close runner up particularly near my heart), Trek Park, “meaningful consultation”

Best Poster

Flyerfuck!!! I’m going to give Lougheed’s so-called “Soft Porn” poster a mention for inspiration, but you’ll have to excuse my conflict of interest when I award myself best poster of the campaign. As Peter mentioned in his nomination: “Flyerfuck – ’nuff said.”

Honourable mentions: Scary Mike’s cartoon posters (See: Axis of Evil. Dude, the rhetoric was Axis of Boring, ok?), and Piovesan: Disendorsed by Aaron at the Devil’s Advocate.

Worst nomination in this category: The Underground with the Cloverfield poster. Sure, it may be a poster, but did they run in the elections? Nooooo. And did you pay any attention to the elections at all? ….

Best Embarrasing Moment

“The fear-stricken eyes in the ranks of the senate candidates when they were asked to display personality” — Maayan from the Insiders, in her nomination. Indeed, folks, as I mentioned in this post, most of them failed to show any real personality at all.

Honourable mentions: Freeman being shamed by the audience for his comment on international students, and Mike Duncan in Debate numero uno.

and finally,

Best Dall-Dropping

The man himself: Brendan Piovesan
“I can has election?”

Honourable mentions: None.

****

Well, thanks for reading (both here and at the Devil’s Advocate). We’ll be covering the VP Admin race so check back for more coverage. Congrats to all the winning candidates for running our student society next year, and to all the losing ones to have time to actually go to school.

Cheers!

Comments

20 Comments so far

1. Maria_Jogova on January 26, 2008 8:43 am

Bloggify is a noun?! Boggles my mind…

2. Stephen McCarthy on January 26, 2008 9:06 am

Oops – Fixed.

3. Stephen McCarthy on January 26, 2008 9:08 am

I decided to leave this category out of the original post, but then thought of the winning example, so here it is:

Best Candidate Quote

“Have you ever been a member of the Parti Quebecois?”

– Scary Mike to Sarah Naiman, after she declared her intention to have another SUB Renew referendum if the first one fails.

4. Gerald on January 26, 2008 9:10 am

I enjoy how much comedy potential is contained in one photo of your ass.

also: does this make us some sort of VFM slate?

5. Gerald on January 26, 2008 9:21 am

two more things: I think that Honorable Mentions in Ball Dropping should go to the VFM Coordinator, for the nightmare we get to deal with as well as Celestian, the poll clerk who violated Elections Code harder than any mom joke can adequately allude to.

6. Anonymous on January 26, 2008 10:10 am

Devil’s Advocate + UBC Insiders + Eat Cake = <3?

7. twilightcity on January 26, 2008 1:16 pm

i intentionally left out “axis of boring” ’cause it might have – *gasp!* – been interpreted as an apparent slate.

which i have never belonged to.

ever.

8. Stephen McCarthy on January 26, 2008 4:22 pm

Dear anonymous 2:10

sum(any VFM which covered the election from start to finish) = <3

And Gerald’s ball-dropping runners-up are duly noted. I suppose I could have given it to the entire elections committee.

9. eat cake on January 26, 2008 4:51 pm

oh anonymous, you got it so right.
    eat cake provides the completely fictional asshattery, the devils advocate gets to be meaner to people i actually know, and ubc insiders helps us all actually understand what the fuck is going on.
    we are an axis of awesome if i do say so myself. Now lets firebomb the 432 office y/n?

10. Peter on January 26, 2008 5:22 pm

Oh what the hell… I got 3 (best dressed, poster, dropped-ball) wins and 1 honorable mention and still don’t make it into your axis?!

As the sole established campus media that actually did anything for VFM, I would have thought that the Cavalier would be slightly more appreciated. Boourns to you all.

11. eat cake on January 26, 2008 5:48 pm

an axis traditionally has three members. you’re “the man” peter. But you’re still appreciated for not being a sultan of douchebaggery like the 432, or the underground.

12. Anonymous on January 26, 2008 5:56 pm

a triumvirate has three members.

Unless your Bush and trying to make a WWII allusion.

whee!

13. Stephen McCarthy on January 26, 2008 6:01 pm

You were in my sum Peter!

14. Peter on January 26, 2008 7:50 pm

I was in the sum, yes, but not in the axis. I like being in world war 2 allusions. Besides, the original Axis also included Hungary, Romania, Slovakia, Yugoslavia, Bulgaria and some other push-overs.I can be one of them.

15. maayan kreitzman on January 26, 2008 9:59 pm

From Joey Coleman:

“Good call out on my lack of involvement in VFM. For the record, I will not be taking any money. Erin Millar and I will have decide where to donate the money when she gets back from vacation. I really hope that we don’t win something…. I don’t want to discredit VFM, the hope was to give it some creditability.”

The guy’s honest,at least!

16. maayan kreitzman on January 26, 2008 10:04 pm

Also, the counterpart of this bilateral post-exchange is now up at ubcdevil.com!!

17. Joey Coleman on January 27, 2008 12:33 am

Yeah, it is too bad I have been caught up with so many other crazy stories across Canada. The AMS election is crazy on its own….
    here’s hoping that it is not a sign of elections to come elsewhere.

– Joey Coleman

P.S. Great work again this year. You guys make VFM work, people like me can only watch in amazement.

P.S.S. More Hydrant!

18. Anonymous on January 27, 2008 7:48 am

I gather that some people harbour negative sentiment towards the 432. May I humbly suggest, if it bothers you so much, that you simply not read it?

19. Anonymous on January 27, 2008 7:50 am

Re: eat cake

The 432 doesn’t have an office. It’s produced in the IFPO, which you would know about, if you had any sort of a clue about student journalism at UBC.

20. eatcake on January 27, 2008 8:45 am

lol I’m so confused. i think the 432 is boring, and I think it’s douchey for established media to enter the vfm. I don’t see where I’ve ever said anything about their office space. And as an active member of SAC i’m more than aware of the IFPO but thanks for coming out. why can’t we just agree to disagree? lol- sensitive journalist.
    ohhhhhhh i wish i was less hammed

Name (required)

Email (required)

Website

Speak your mind