Possibilities

Ancient Book

Ancient Book by Richard Scott33

I was drawn to this image. It is very simple – a blank page in a book. I chose this image because it represents to me the “possibilities” that exist out there for text, technology, literacy, reading, writing and printing. This blank open book with a white page is ready and waiting for someone to express him/herself and for the world to interpret it. The fact that the book is weathered and ancient added to my intrigue as it emphasizes the juxtaposition between the past and future possibilities.

My name is Cathy Jung. I live in Markham, Ontario. I am a Manager of Learning and Development for the Canadian Automobile Association (CAA). I am in the final home stretch of the MET program – this is my last course! I have a background in teaching ESL, so reading, writing and literacy hold an interest to me. I am also a mother of two young boys and as such have an interest in how their experiences with text, technology, reading and writing will change or remain similar. I look forward to working with everyone in this course.

Cathy Jung

This entry was posted in Introductions and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

5 Responses to Possibilities

1. deedee says:

Hi Cathy,
    The simplicity of this image is breathtaking. My mind was also drawn to the unlimited possibilities that exist in the realm of self expression and interpretation.
    Congrats on this being your last course in the program – it’s my first!

Dee Dee

• Cathy Jung says:

Hi Dee Dee,

Welcome to the MET Program. You will find it a very rewarding experience. You’ll find the learning community is great.

I find that “simple” is sometimes best, as in the case of this image.

Cathy

2. vschrader says:

Hi Cathy,

Great to see you here. I look forward to working with you again as we continue to consider all the possibilities that exist between text & technology.

It is quite interesting to watch the next generation as they develop their literacy in a time in which text has changed so rapidly… and yet as is apparent from Camille’s post & discussion with Al, much remains the same (and so on to learning theories). Fascinating!

Vicki

3. danny says:

Hi Cathy,

“I am also a mother of two young boys and as such have an interest in how their experiences with text, technology, reading and writing will change or remain similar” caught my attention. I find that I think about so much of what I do and learn in terms of “I wonder how my daughters will view this” or “what will life be like when they are older.” The blank pages work well to demonstrate that unknown, such as how will they view text when they graduate one day?

Dan