Hey everyone! Just for the record, I’m feeling much better, and as I expected the loneliness of moving here has indeed faded with time. The thing that bothered me most was just the unfamiliarness of EVERYTHING, people, places, food, routine, just everything. However, now that I’m getting used to things, I’m very much enjoying my time here :)
In particular, now that I’m not focused on how UBC isn’t my home, I can appreciate what a freaking amazing campus we have here. Seriously. Everything is beautifully landscaped, built, and designed. Flowers line the sidewalks and sculptures are plentiful. I’ve done a little exploring, and so far these are my favourite places on campus:
1. The rose garden. If you haven’t been there yet, what are you waiting for?! The roses won’t be blooming for long, and they are gorgeous.
2. The Chapman Learning Commons (aka the Harry Potter Room). It’s inside the Irving K Barber Learning Centre, third floor. It seriously makes me feel like I’m in the great hall in Hogwarts – and the hushed atmosphere and comfy armchairs make it a great place for studying.
3. The Aquatic Centre. FYI, UBC students get in for free with their student card. Ridiculous, I know. Also the pool is shaped like a thunderbird head. Whoa.
4. The hill outside the SUB. It’s a great place to just hang out and soak up the sun :) For that matter, pretty much anywhere on campus is a great place to just sit around and enjoy the scenery, providing the weather is nice like it has been these last few weeks.
5. Inside the SUB. It’s cool in there! I don’t know why, I just like it. Also, the Blue Chip Cookie is definitely something you need to try. I got this ‘Marble Cookie’ from there, and it was this warm, moist, chocolate cookie with a giant slab of melty white chocolate on top. Mmmmmmm.
I’m not nearly done exploring yet, but my poor feet can only do so much walking in a day! Post your favourite places in the comments :)
XO – Samantha.