It occurs to me that I haven’t been blogging much this year; I think that once you’re in the third year of something, everything you do becomes somewhat commonplace and I’ve forgotten that this stuff might be interesting to people outside of my own head. That is, everyone. I promise there is no one else inside my head.
This term I’ve gotten to do some pretty fun things because of my coursework! Here are a few:
- Trying out songwriting in my creative writing class.
- Playing a concert at the Vancouver Convention Centre with the UBC Symphony orchestra and broadway star Elaine Page.
- Arranging Silver Bells for a brass ensemble for my instrumentation class – and then actually getting to hear it performed.
- Playing a percussion piece which involved hitting trash bins.
- Playing electro-acoustic music which involves waving my arms around and hearing cool noises that I control.
I’m not actually taking that many courses right now, so here’s some fun things I’ve done outside of class:
- Meet a world-class harpist from Belgium and attend her workshop.
- Be a MUG leader for Imagine Day.
- Man a booth at Clubs Days.
- Work on campus – have I mentioned that I love my job and all my coworkers and my boss? I’ll write a post about it some time.
- Try out a new restaurant in Vancouver pretty much every week.
- Learn how to play Settlers of Catan.
The UBC life is a good life; the challenge now is not to get complacent about it!