Common Misconceptions

I came across this recently and thought that it was very apt for what we are exploring in the first lesson. It was tagged as “me in every math lesson” which corresponds to how I felt in high school math, and how many of my middle school students feel when we start a new concept in math or science.

I thought it was interesting that even when shown proof that they are the same, he still did not get it. It is difficult to dislodge preconceived notions even in the face of proof.

1. Thanks for sharing this entertaining video! Definitely indicative of how our students can feel and how I even feel when starting a new course and navigating through a new interface!

Allison

2. HI Thanks for the video. I love how even when shown the proof that a kilogram equals a kilogram the student did not understand. It is the perfect example of misconceptions. I have to agree with Allison, I feel the exact same way in some courses. Finding readings, getting video to work, following what is due when, there have been quite a few times I had that same ” I don’t get it” feeling. Luckily I have always had great fellow students and faculty who help me muddle through until I have a better understanding.
    Catherine

3. That was an excellent example! I enjoyed the video as well. Keeping in line with the readings I wonder what other ways could the three ‘teachers’ have explained the concept to the ‘student’. Yes, in the face of proof the student still didn’t let go, but I wonder how else could the student be presented with more proof.

Interesting post!
    Thanks for sharing,
    Vibhu