Encounter with Windows 98

My first encounter with digital technology came in a computer lab in grade 6.  There was a strange scent in the computer lab very likely coming from the computer hardware at the time.  At first it was discovery of solitaire, then the struggle of focusing between learning windows, office etc and playing solitaire.

It is memorable simply because it was something different from the ho-hum of a regular classroom.  Computer Lab day was exciting as it meant learning something different, on a device where there is a screen at my finger tips, a mouse and a keyboard that let me do whatever I wanted, until of course the teacher scolded to get on task.

The question this raises is: how should a new technology be best managed from a teacher’s perspective so that the students exposed to that technology make the best out of the technology’s intended use?

Thanks

Vibhu

1. Vibhu,

You bring up a great point regarding how technology should be managed so that the students are using it as intended. Many schools in my district now have iPad or laptop carts, but there seems to be a constant struggle between teachers wanting students to use them for work, and trying to keep students from being off-task and simply browsing the internet.

Perhaps one key factor should be to determine whether students are being given a generic device that is similar to what they have at home (and therefore capable of as many off-task activities as on-task ones), or are being given access to technologies that are devoted to learning (ie- Lego Mindstorm sets with specific challenges to complete). Proprietary learning tools that use technology not only reduce the opportunities for students slip into off-task behaviour, but also allow for most focused and effective learning.

I think your question is an important one for teachers and administrators to ask, as working towards identifying what technologies can provide truly meaningful learning will reduce the work a teacher has to do to manage student learning.

2. Vibhu, your memory sparks a question for all of us as educators, and it is one we will explore thoughout the course (and you final assignment). Thank you, Samia