Unpacking my GT

“Good Technology” (GT) in my view, teaches or reinforces learning outcomes.  GT is engaging, and is not merely screen time for the sake of screen time. GT allows opportunities for student to reflect (privately or publicly) on their process and the process of others. GT is simple and or simplifies processes (sometimes, a whiteboard or a piece of paper is still the best technology for a situation!). GT sometimes provides students with opportunities to construct their own knowledge, yet in other times allows educators to be that guiding light. Slowly but surely, I have been using digital technology as a pedagogical tool that enhances the learning experience for both myself and my students.

1. Google Classroom
    • I post copies of notes, tutorial videos, questions to the class, and assignments that utilize GAFE.
  2. Google Docs
    • All my labs are done on Docs.
    • Lab partners work collaboratively on one lab.
    • I provide feedback in the comments, as the students are writing their labs.
  3. Google Slideshows
    • Every project I assign, must be uploaded to a Google Slideshow, where students are required to reflect on their process.
    • One document to open for assessment, instead of 30, is a huge bonus.
  4. Desmos, Phet, The Universe and More
    • Three online reinforcement programs that often gamify the learning process, but at the very least, animate the learning process.
  5. Class Blogs
    • Students are responsible to scribe 2 -3 times per course
    • Class announcements, summaries/tutorials of lessons

1. Hi Dana,

Thanks for your practical examples of how you implement digital technology in your classroom! I especially love the class blog example you shared because it gives students the ownership of their learning. That is, they are responsible to summarize what was learned and are expected to be the “experts” about that particular topic. It encourages them to learn the content by teaching it to other peers. From their perspective, teh learning is more meaningful because they have an authentic audience, since there are actual students relying on this information for their learning. Can you tell me more about how you set this up for your students? How do you support struggling students in this subject?

1. Hi Gloria, Thanks for your reply! This is only my second year with the Class Blog and I have only attempted it with my Gifted Math 10 and my Physics 11, so far. I based the concept on Darren Kuropatwa’s Class Blog (http://adifference.blogspot.ca/search?q=class+blog)– I had come across his work when I was researching blogging for a MET course. It is definitely a work in progress! But I have adopted a mantra that things don’t have to be perfect in order to give them a go— it is nice just to jump into things sometimes, then just work out kinks each time you start a new class. In terms of challenges, I have had one highly anxious student who was absolutely terrified to have her work shown to others and technology use was not something in her wheelhouse. I had to hold her hand through the entire first post but then her second post went much better! Most students will get their post up right away, but if a student needs another night, I don’t lose sleep over that. I suppose that the hurdles have been minimized because I have only worked with certain classes. I am hesitant to get this going in my Regular Math 10, because so many of my students are not academically motivated. (This may be a non-issue, though– maybe I will try the Blog with my Regulars next month!) I have kept the requirements pretty minimal so far; I have not required students to reply to each others’ posts. That is something I really would like to get into gear— more reflection time! ~Dana