Cases and Considerations

Disclaimer: I was only able to view the videos through the side panel on the course website under the tab “Course Videos” and have done my best to align the videos with the bios provided with each Video Case page. Hopefully, my problem solving and critical thinking skills have proved successful!

It is Teacher E (Case 8), the science instructor of teacher candidates, who summarizes well educational technology as it weaves itself through many of the case video samples. He asserts that technology use within the classroom should be used to enhance student learning and should be integrated with other subject content. These goals of technology use can be seen throughout the case videos, as both students and teachers share that their experience with technology enables students to understand content more easily and more in depth. Although ideally, technology should be integrated with other subject areas, students and teachers admit that there is a significant learning curve that occurs in order to efficiently and meaningfully use the technology. In Case 2, Teacher M communicates that he introduces the graphing calculator to students in grade eight. By the time the students are enrolled in grade eleven, they are able to use the technology to learn content, rather than use time to learn the technology. In Case 3, a grade 12 Physics student admits that it took her a year to move through the frustration of learning the new technology. However, now that she has developed the necessary skills to implement the technology, she is able to complete the learning more easily and with a deeper understanding. This understanding is evident through her engagement and problem solving abilities within the video.

In Case 1, a reference is made to the New BC Curriculum that is beginning to be implemented in 2016/17 for grades 10-12. One of the teachers mentions that the Content of the new curriculum is the topics through which to practice the Competencies. As the Physics 12 teacher (Case 3) describes technology as evolving his teaching from being transmissive to transactive, this idea of practicing the competencies through using technology, while gaining a deeper understanding of content is highly evident. Students are collaborating with peers who are not necessarily their friends, managing their time and resources, problem solving and integrating technology appropriately – all of these activities are considered both competencies and important life skills!

A final observation is that of the educators who are implementing technology within their learning spaces. There is almost a tangible enthusiasm expressed through the screen as they share about the activity occurring among their students. All of these educators are experienced educators with at least a decade of teaching experience, and all of them have been willing to invest in learning meaningful technology either on their own, through collaboration with other teachers, or through professional development opportunities. These educators were willing to take risks and challenge the status quo of a traditional learning space. They faced challenges, but were willing to work through the challenges, viewing them as part of the learning process and keeping a positive perspective. Conversely, most of the preservice teachers and new teachers shared hesitant or even negative perspectives on using technology in significant ways in their classroom. The two most common reasons for hesitancy were lack of knowledge regarding the technology – how to implement and how to problem solve, and the amount of time necessary to teach students how to use the technology efficiently and effectively. I found this interesting because I would have assumed that the newer, and typically younger, teachers would be more capable and confident in exploring new technology than older teachers, but this is not evident within the videos, overall.

Finally, I would like to express appreciation for the sharing of these video cases. The variety of perspectives through the various classroom settings and teacher experiences is incredibly insightful and offers much inspiration, as well as material for consideration.

1. Hi Jessica, That is an interesting observation, regarding student teachers and their level of comfort with technology. Perhaps it is similar to my observations working with students in a technology-enhanced environment. A typical high school student tend to be very proficient in texting, Snapchat and other forms of social communication, however, digital citizenship and literacy beyond these platforms can often be limited. As well, student teachers have likely been taught using traditional methodologies. If others are like me, I taught for a really long time, in a very parallel manner to how I was taught by my teachers. It’s akin to becoming more like our parents as we age! It seems to me that the ease of embracing technology in one’s practice is dependent on one’s personality: some of us are really adventurous and not afraid to dive into situations, not afraid to encounter obstacles. Others prefer to allow other folks to test things out for a few months (years) before dipping their toe into the tech pool. And still others prefer to not go to the pool at all, opting instead for their own adventures on dry land. My point here is that, I am pretty certain that these different groups of people span all demographics. That being said, I think that when my children (ages 8 and 10) are entering the work force, that this group will begin to really shake things up, technologically speaking. It’s exciting to think about all of the qualities that the iPhone generation will bring to the table! ~ Dana

1. Dana,

To further your thinking, I also considered the confidence of the teachers. Student/New teachers are at a large learning curve in their careers, and the prospect of adding technology education within their classrooms may seem daunting, overwhelming, and optional. Whereas for the more experienced teachers, the learning curve has leveled out and their sense of confidence has increased, along with the “lifelong learner” within them motivating them towards grander ideas and methodologies. This is a very general analogy, but a pattern that was evident within the video cases.

1. Hi Jessica, YES! I think you are on to something here… We need to remember that student/new teachers can be like deer in the headlights— there are so many new situations flying at them all at once. Thinking about this even further, until more of us “mature” teachers get on board with the technology, the student teachers will have a higher likelihood of being mentored by non-tech teachers. In my departments of math and science, I am the only one using the Google Classroom, for example. This needs to change— student teachers should be learning technological practices from experienced teachers, wherever possible. I know that my last student teacher appreciated having me by her side, at least! ~Dana

2. Hi Jessica,

Thanks for the comments. In particular, the point about the teacher in Case 2 introducing the graphing calculator to his grade 8’s as a way to develop their skills throughout the following years is an important one that relates well to what the teacher in Case 3 discusses. In all areas of learning (and in particular science and math), proficiency in foundational skills is necessary to tackle the complex concepts and problems found in the senior levels. Skill development requires time and must therefore should be viewed in a holistic manner across the grades of each subject so that the students are not only learning the knowledge they require, but also developing the skills they will need.

In some ways, the new Competencies criteria does focus on the aspect of skill development but it would be of benefit to the students of departments are able to coordinate for themselves a continuum of skill development and assessment built into each grade level.

1. Lawrence,
      I was considering similar thoughts after posting last night. Although the cases provide excellent examples of students who had learned the technology over years of usage, these students seemed to be working with the same teacher over those years. What happens when a student gets a different physics/math teacher the following year who is not comfortable with the technology? Does the learning acquisition deteriorate?
      I agree, – there does need to be a spiral approach to not just content, but also skill development over the grade levels that is prescribed throughout the curriculum to ensure continuity of learning. But more ideally, teachers need to be collaborating and planning across the grade levels, not just within their single teaching grade/subject.