The Changing Spaces of Reading and Writing

Text Stress

Information Overload, originally uploaded by ~ Solstizio ~.

I chose this image to represent the text overload that engulfs our daily lives.
In the first semester of this master’s degree I discovered the writings of Neil Postman and his vision made a deep impression on me. In his book “Technopoly: The Surrender of Culture to Technology” (1993), the author asserts that no technology is neutral and that we should be conscious of the changes to society that the introduction of new technology provokes. He also notes that we are presently bombarded by more and more information (texts) and that this excess has not made us any happier since few of our problems are caused by a lack of information.

My name is Dilip Verma, and I am married with two children. My background is mixed both racially and professionally, but presently I reside in Oaxaca, Mexico and work as the Director of the School of Languages at the local University. I am studying in a joint degree program between UBC and the Tec de Monterrey. This is my first course with UBC and it is a pleasure to be able to write in English.

I have little experience with blogging and no experience with virtual social networking, but I am not a Luddite either. I understand that the new technologies of communication are here to say and I look forward to discovering a considered, culturally sensitive approach to their incorporation into my teaching.

There are no comments yet...

Kick things off by filling out the form below.