The Changing Spaces of Reading and Writing

The panic key

The panic key, originally uploaded by Phil Romans.

At what point have we gone too far?

Have we turned too far from the idea of text as an accurate representative of oral culture?

This photo instantly made me think, not only about the consequences of our actions and race toward the ever-advancing technological frontier, but about our control in altering, stopping, or slowing the technological advancement.

What would it look like if we had time to reflect on how we are changing the purpose and definition of communication, text and recording of our history? Where as once, history was recorded carefully through memorization and retelling of oral legends (Beowolf), it may be argued that history may be viewed as a collection of massively overproduced chaotic relics by those who study us in the thousands of years to come.

Do we have the power to push the PANIC button if we need to?

I am looking forward to exploring the history of text and how technological ‘advancements’ have altered our thoughts, values and approaches with regards to recording our voices.

I am currently teaching at the secondary level in Terrace, BC.  I am taking 2 courses this semester (5 and 6) and anticipate a very busy few months with work, the MET program, my kids, and everything else!  Looking forward to working with everyone in the course!
Caroline Faber

1 comment

1 Erin Gillespie { 09.10.09 at 6:31 am }

Hi Caroline,

This is a great image. I’m also interested in exploring historically how far we’ve come (gone?) and what implications for society our technological adaptations have had. Cheers, EG.