The Changing Spaces of Reading and Writing

Space vs Meaning

woven journal, originally uploaded by ereneta.

The concept as text being like words woven together really made sense to me. This being my 8th class in the program, I am more drawn to different definitions of text than of technology. The relationship between language and meaning can be so complex, that it’s possible for text to be created merely for the sake of filling space without really conveying meaning. The picture effectively illustrates this possibility.

My name is Ryan Bartlett and although this will be my 8th course in MET, it is my first course directly through UBC. I started the program 1.5 years ago while teaching foreign/second language methodology and EFL at a private university in Oaxaca, Mexico. Since then I have been taking courses online administered through the Tec de Monterrey in Mexico. So long story short, I’m excited to see how UBC works online not to mention very interested to take a deeper look at the complex relationship between language and technology.

1 comment

1 Ana Cecilia Tagliapietra { 09.11.09 at 2:20 pm }

Hi Ryan,
I found the picture you selected very interesting and illustrating- it definitely makes a point in regards to the relationship between meaning/space/text.
I’m also in the ITESM-UBC program and this is my first semester working directly with UBC- there are so many tools I haven’t used before, I’m trying to get the hang of it all. 😀