The Changing Spaces of Reading and Writing

Text and Technology

Example of Boardmaker software

What is text? Is its classification still the same as it was when I was in school? Or my parents?

Do we allow for the shortened, grammatically incorrect form of language to be applied to this same category? The kind that is seen in countless text messages or quickly written emails?

Text comes in many forms, including the use of braille for those who have vision difficulties.
When I think of text and technology, I think of my students who cannot write. Those who use software that conveys an image or multiple images into a logical sentence or story.  Boardmaker software, as shown above, is one example of how one can express their thoughts, and feelings without using the conventional alphabet.

Though I must ask: Is it still text?

1 Maureen Coyne { 09.18.09 at 9:45 am }

I’m not familiar with Boardmaker software. Do your students enjoy using it? You raise a good point about is it still text? I think that these symbols woven together can form a type of text just like braille or words from any language can form text.

2 Marjorie del Mundo { 09.18.09 at 7:45 pm }

I wonder if we can consider sign language as text that our hands can convey without technology? Just a thought! ~Marjorie