Circular relationships: Avoidance is not an option

Glass ball

It was difficult to find a picture that truly represented the complexity of the issues raised in this course. I kept going back to this image because to me it visually represents the circular relationship we have with technology. We can turn from it but we can’t really avoid it. Postman (1992) mentioned “for it is inescapable that every culture must negotiate with technology, whether it does so intelligently or not” (p. 5). I also felt that the picture captured the so-called flowing nature and multiple structures of digital text (Bolter, 2001).

My name is Melanie Wong. My day job is a Learning Leader. I also have a second job working with my ministry of Education developing English as a Second Language (ESL) material for teachers. My passion is ESL (since I have done a previous masters in this area) and technology. I am really looking forward to this course and working with all of you!

Bolter, J.D. (2001). Writing space: Computers, hypertext, and the remediation of print (2nd ed.). Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum.

Postman, N. (1992). Technopoly: The surrender of culture to technology. New York, NY: New York

About mmwong

I am PhD student in the department of Language and Literacy Education. My research interests are how technology can be used to teach English as a Second Language students.
This entry was posted in Introductions and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

5 Responses to Circular relationships: Avoidance is not an option

1. blamb says:

Hi Melanie! It probably impossible to come up with one image that “sums it all up” for us… Though I am curious what 45 people will come up with.

Your chosen image reminds me of the Wikipedia logo… which seems somehow fitting.

2. mmwong says:

Hi Brian! Thank you for your response! It will be interesting to see what everyone else posts! A picture definitely can speak on its own.

Yes, I agree about the Wikipedia logo. I never thought about that connection until now.

3. Camille Maydonik says:

Hi Melanie,

Are you a Learning Leader with the Calgary Board of Education? I am a grade one, French Immersion teacher at Westgate Elementary in Area 4. If you are in fact in Calgary, that is wonderful as I do not know many other Calgarians in MET. I am hoping to find myself in a Learning Leader position next year!

Nice to meet you!

Camille

4. Al Davidson says:

Hi Melanie,

I too thought of the Calgary board when I heard of your position as a Learning Leader. I know that is how that board has organized their AISI funding to support school improvement. Prior to becoming a VP in Foothills School Division I served as a learning coach and found the work to be rewarding.

Looking forward to collaborating with you in ETEC 540.

Al

5. mmwong says:

Hi Camilla and Al,

Camilla, yes I do work for the CBE. Wow! What a small world! I am sure you will make an amazing LL in the future. I am working in Area 1.

Al, yes, those AISI funds. *_* It is nice to meet another fellow Albertan.