Circular relationships: Avoidance is not an option

Glass ball

It was difficult to find a picture that truly represented the complexity of the issues raised in this course. I kept going back to this image because to me it visually represents the circular relationship we have with technology. We can turn from it but we can’t really avoid it. Postman (1992) mentioned “for it is inescapable that every culture must negotiate with technology, whether it does so intelligently or not” (p. 5). I also felt that the picture captured the so-called flowing nature and multiple structures of digital text (Bolter, 2001).

My name is Melanie Wong. My day job is a Learning Leader. I also have a second job working with my ministry of Education developing English as a Second Language (ESL) material for teachers. My passion is ESL (since I have done a previous masters in this area) and technology. I am really looking forward to this course and working with all of you!

Bolter, J.D. (2001). Writing space: Computers, hypertext, and the remediation of print (2nd ed.). Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum.

Postman, N. (1992). Technopoly: The surrender of culture to technology. New York, NY: New York

About mmwong

I am PhD student in the department of Language and Literacy Education. My research interests are how technology can be used to teach English as a Second Language students.
This entry was posted in Introductions and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

5 Responses to Circular relationships: Avoidance is not an option