My literal world

Robot Scrabble
Robot Scrabble
Photo by Jenn and Tony Bot

I chose this picture for its literal translation.  Both text (letters) and technology (robots).  But the more I read in the prefatory material the more I liked the image on different levels.  The letters in the game of scrabble are in fact text but also tactile in nature.

I have to admit when I briefly read over the course outline I thought I was in for something different.  I am interested to explore more recent changes in how modern technologies have changed the way we communicate.

My name is Ryan Edgar and I live and teach high school in North Vancouver.  I am taking 2 courses this term which will be 6 & 7 for me (the end is getting closer every term – obviously).  The good news on a personal note is that successful completion of these 2 courses will mean I move to a PB+15 on the pay scale – yeah (if you are a teacher in BC then you know what I mean).  I look forward to taking this journey with each of you -good luck to us all!

Ryan

This entry was posted in Image Feed (Flickr), Introductions, Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to My literal world

1. Al Davidson says:

Ryan,

Great to have you in the course. Good luck on your efforts to do two courses. It is something I have not attempted in my time here. With three boys (8,6 & 3) and job obligations I have been reluctant.

I too am interested in the implications for communication with emerging text technologies.

Al

2. vschrader says:

Ryan,

Great picture. I like, too, how we can deconstruct the words in Scrabble, much like what we do when reading text critically.

Congratulations on your pending pb+ promo – I know what you mean, though it is slightly further off for me. I believe we need 590, no? Or is that just to get fully to level 6?

Looking forward to working with you!
    Vicki

• ryan edgar says:

I think my situation may be a bit unique… I had previously completed 9 credits in PE that I didn’t use towards my BEd. Therefore 7 courses in the MET + 3 courses in PE give me the 30 hours I need for a PB+15. When I finish the MET program I then get the next level (which isn’t a big pay difference to be honest).

Ryan

3. Cathy Jung says:

Hi Ryan,

Nice image. I think the value of each of the Scrabble letters is interesting. It symbolizes the value we place on communication, text and technology.

Cathy