Text and Independence

You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room.” — Dr. Seuss

I love Dr. Seuss and I love Dr. Seuss quotes. 🙂

One of the greatest things we have gained from text is the independence and individualization of learning. The ability to read text opens doors that would previously have remained closed. Students go to mainstream schools and sit in classes reading what is expected of them, only to go home and read what excites and interests them. Sometimes they are the same things, but not often.

Technology and text going hand-in-hand has opened up even more doors for students as now they have access to even more text, as well as opportunities beyond the written word.

Schools are wonderful places to be but Dr. Seuss had it right, there is still a lot you’re going to figure out and learn on your own, in your room. 🙂

Tyler

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to Text and Independence

1. Cathy Jung says:

Hi Tyler,

In regards to your Dr. Seuss quote “…but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room.” I think it is fascinating that learners may be physically alone in a room, but with technology they are never really alone – they can be connected to a vast community via the internet that far exceeds. You mention that “text is the independence and individualization of learning” and I like your example of learners going “home and read what excites and interest” them. I would contrast this independence and individualization of text that you noted with technology which allows for collaboration and a community of learners.

Cathy Jung

2. Annette Smith says:

Ah, Seuss…

I think it makes sense to reference Seuss when talking about text and children. He made use of pedagogy and learning theory to create worlds for children to learn in. I think my brother and I both learned to read from his texts.

When I taught kindergarten we used his books very frequently.

Text is the vehicle through which we introduce children to knowledge and the independence that comes with having power over reading.

Annette

3. chrisaitken says:

Great quote Tyler, and how true? Perhaps Dr Seuss was a constructivist in identifying that much of what you learn will be by yourself with the guidance of a teacher.

I also agree with your remark on the empowering potential of literacy. It open doors and evens the playing field somewhat. Hopefully, with the advances in text technology, an increase in independence, opportunity, and power will be given to those previously denied such advantages.