Rip.Mix.Feed. Braille Gallery

I was able to write a research paper on braille for this course, and found the topic quite interesting. This was the first time that I had really conducted any research into the subject, and I’ve been intrigued at the incredibly different and creative ways that this text technology has been implemented.

Accordingly, I created a gallery of particularly compelling photos of all things braille for this assignment. By creating this in Flickr, I was able to tap into an incredibly vast database of other contributor’s photos. There are some excellent examples included of braille being used in non-traditional ways, and even a few photos on the lighter side. The downside of creating a gallery in Flickr is that since I don’t own the works in question, I can’t make them static – that is, if someone that I’ve added to my gallery wants their photo removed, they can take it out. There should be 18 photos in there to start (the maximum that Flickr will allow in a gallery) – hopefully there will still be 18 by the time you read this!

Please enjoy my All Things Braille Flickr Gallery

Brian Farrell

This entry was posted in Rip.Mix.Feed. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Rip.Mix.Feed. Braille Gallery

1. vschrader says:

Brian,

My first reaction is how eye-opening your work on Braille has been and is again here – I’m sorry I can’t get away from the pun/visual metaphors.

I find Braille absolutely amazing & somewhat mind-boggling. I cannot imagine being altogether without vision. Your project here reminds me of all I take for granted in the visual domain: I never even thought of the bumps on the roads or crosswalks as being a form of Braille, providing a sensory experience in lieu of the visual cues the sighted are blessed to have.

Thank you for bringing awareness once again to this topic.
    Vicki

2. lesliedawes says:

Great images Brian. My first reaction is to say how supportive measures like that are for the visually impaired. I have seen braille at shopping malls indicating washrooms. The second thing that comes to mind is how thankful I am for my sight. I could not see very well without glasses since about Grade 3. Three years ago I had lazer surgery. It is like a miracle. I am so grateful for good sight. Visual cues and braille are a way that compassion can flourish in this world. Thank you for sharing the images. Enjoy your break.