Hello!

Hi there!  My name is Samantha, and I will be part of your first year blog squad this year.  I am from Winnipeg, MB and I study music.  (I play the harp, and no, I didn’t have to bring my own.)

I drove all the way from Winnipeg to get here, so after three days of driving it’s nice to not be sitting in a car all day.  The drive out was tons of fun too, though.  We stopped off in Moose Jaw and stayed in an adorable bed & breakfast – the building was 103 years old!  There was a thunderstorm that night too, and I love a good prairie thunderstorm.  We made a detour to Lake Louise too, and at this time of year the water is just gorgeous.  If you’re an international student, I definitely recommend visiting Lake Louise at some point during your stay in Canada.  Driving into Vancouver was ridiculous!  It took three hours to get from Langley to downtown, and where I come from, that is FOREVER.  But, we finally made it and took a walk along the beach.  The sun was setting on the water, and there were buskers and hot dog stands and even a fire dancer… This is what Vancouver is to me.  Gorgeous.

Actually moving into residence the next day was really easy!  My parents and I got here early, so the lines just zipped along and I was unpacked within an hour or two.  I can’t believe some of my neighbours, their rooms are already a total mess and they still aren’t unpacked.. and it’s only day one!  My room is nice and organized, and I intend to keep it that way.  Of course, around exam time that could change…

In the evening I met a ton of new people (who are all really nice, by the way) and had tons of fun doing a photo scavenger hunt.  When I went to bed, I won’t lie, I felt pretty lonely.  But the next morning, as soon as I stepped out of my room, someone asked me to go to breakfast with them and soon enough the loneliness disappeared.  If you feel lonely, don’t worry, you aren’t alone – and there are tons of people around you who would love to just talk with you.

So far first year is looking FANTASTIC, and I can’t wait to go through it and share it with all of you!

Peace out – Samantha.

6 Comments

Filed under Uncategorized

6 Responses to Hello!

1. Lake Louise is indeed beautiful!

And welcome to the Blog Squad / campus / UBC!

2. Kelvin

Yes! Our first music blog squad-er! Welcome!

3. Samantha, I think you are the first Blog Squad member from Music – ever! Do keep us tuned into your adventures ahead. Welcome to the Blog Squad, UBC, and Vancouver!

4. Again, welcome to the Blog Squad!

5. Emma

Okay now I know that this is a really old post but it’s relevant to me now.

So, greetings!

I’m from Cape Town (yes, South Africa). I’m starting in September. I play double bass and I just wanted to know a bit more about the music school at UBC. How’s the level of the orchestras and is there a lot of competition?

Also, I’m struggling to prioritize on what to bring to res. I am coming from the tip of Africa (25 hours in transit FML) so I need to pack lightly…ish.

Also, how are Canadians? I’ve heard stories…

I’m just kind of unloading all my questions on to you ‘cos in my experience, all harpists are cool. Also, I do a toasted version of BREADFACE. Just saying.