Away We Go!

Hello classmates!  I’m Josh Elsdon from Victoria, BC.  I am halfway done the MET program, having completed 500, 511, 522, 532, and 540…nice to start to see the light at the end of the tunnel!

I am a middle school math teacher, so I am keen to bring as much of my learning as possible into my teaching practice.

In my spare time, I enjoy spending time with my amazing wife, Katie, playing with our three kids, and surfing whenever I can.

I’m looking forward to learning with you all!

Josh

1. Hi Josh,
    I, too, am from fabulous Victoria! What school do you teach at? I have taught FPC Math 10 for the last 17 years-ish, and I am very interested in learning more about what math challenges middle school teachers are facing. Once, my department met with our feeder middle schools, however, things went a bit sideways– it’s a long story! Regardless of the unintentional bridge burning, I think the intention of sharing pedagogy was good. Bridging the divide between high school and middle school can only help students and teachers, IMO.
    Congratulations on your newest family member!
    Dana

2. Hello Josh. Well you surf and that has always been on my list of things to try. I live in Thunder Bay, Ontario on Lake Suerior and there are quite a few fresh water surfers that brave our lake. Do you surf in Vancouver or do you travel to surf? I currently teach grade 2, so I’m hoping to gain some insights from math teachers like yourself throughout the course. Nice to meet you.

3. Welcome Josh and welcome little one! We have created the space in the course so that you and your peers can share and learn from one another how you are using technology to support learning in math. I am looking forward to these class discussions, Samia

4. Hi Josh,
    Nice to see you in another course. I know half way seems like no man’s land but you will be done before you know it. Then you will have more time to spend with your family. I did the reverse, I waited to start my masters until my kids were finished highschool and my husband had completed his ph.d (which he did later in life). I am amazed at how many of you can manage work, your masters and families. Kudos to you for surviving it all.
    Catherine