Coding Encounters

My first experience with computers as a tool in the workplace, was when I took a computer course at Sheraton College in the early 80’s.  Desktop computers had recently made inroads into the office workplace, and this course taught the basics for office use, such as word processing (Wordstar* and WordPerfect), spreadsheets, and programming languages such as BASIC and Fortran. I loved learning the tricks of word processing and this was valuable later in life when Microsoft Word became the default program. I also remember being completely baffled by Fortran, however, a little more competent at BASIC. I loved the way I could program the computer to do something I wanted it to do, but got extremely frustrated when it didn’t work because I missed a step in the command sequence. Fast forward to today, and I see similar frustrations and elations when my students are coding using programs such as Scratch. It gives me pause to reflect on how far we have come in making it easier for people to create using computers, and how similar the learning experience is now as it was for me then, and I wonder what programs or platforms we are using now that might become obsolete, and what the advances might be for use in the classroom.

1. I first used WordPerfect while I worked in an office one summer. I remember being presented with an instruction manual, and was expected to learn how to use the program on my own really quickly. I was thankful to also have the cheat sheet strip of paper that went across the top of the keyboard.

“I wonder what programs or platforms we are using now that might become obsolete, and what the advances might be for use in the classroom.” In my experience, many faculty members are reluctant to learn and integrate new technology into the curriculum because they feel the technology will soon be outdated, and they do not want to “waste” their time learning something that will soon be obsolete. Early adopters definitely help generate interest among their peers, and help promote acceptance and use of new technology within departments.

2. I think you may be right when you say some people are reluctant to learn new programs because they think it might be a waste of time, however, in my experience, learning something new in technology has never been a waste of time because even if it was not something I was going to use regularly, or it became obsolete relatively quickly, I have always learned something that would help me navigate other areas with a measure of confidence. Just because I never ended up writing programs in BASIC doesn’t mean that the experience was useless. Due to that learning, I am now able to grasp the basics of SCRATCH and other block coding programs. Now the Commodore 64 is obsolete, but I managed to get a good grasp of how computer games work and how to manipulate the keyboard for specific results. No learning is ever a waste of time.

1. “No learning is ever a waste of time.” I definitely agree. Unfortunately, I have worked with many post-secondary instructors (and those in healthcare) who do not embrace technology, and do not share the same attitude about learning something outside of their content specialty area.

3. Your thought regarding what current programs may eventually become obsolete made me think of programs I enjoyed in previous years that I can no longer access any more because of platform evolution. For example, as an elementary student, I love the Reader Rabbit games on the school computers, as well as a host of other games and programs whose titles are eluding me at the moment. These games were positive learning experiences for me, and at times I struggle to find modern equivalents to use in the classroom because part of me wants the simplicity of those older games without all of the bells and whistles that seem to complicate some games today.

4. Hey Stephanie,
    In ETEC511 our final project was focussed on the History of Educational Technology. One of my partners was actually able to find a “vintage” version of Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego! You can find a link to it from our site (http://etec511.wixsite.com/history-of-education/task3) and I believe there are many others available from the site as well. I agree with you that it is easy to get wistful about the “simpler” games of when we were growing up that we loved and learned so much from…is that because they really were that great or because we are nostalgic for our youth? I think it is a combination of both mixed with comfort level. Thinking about my parents reactions to my Super Mario Nintendo game and how advanced it was and how easily I could pick up and play it makes me think about how I as an adult can view modern games now. Because I am not engaged in these games in my everyday personal life, the learning curve is steeper! This whole concept relates back to some of the belief and research popping up that today’s students’ brains are wired differently. Does that mean that students need and expect to be presented with intricate, stimulating material or have we simply complicated things unnecessarily?
    Allison

1. I’ll have to take a look at the “vintage” version of “Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego” that you have on your ETEC 511 site, Allison! I loved that game growing up (it also happened to be one of the very few games my parents would allow us to play) and my siblings and I still reference the game from time to time – ah the power of technology! It is actually amazing to consider the impact technology has on our lives; even experiences we had thirty years ago!

5. Thank you Anne for your post. I like your reminders of WordPerfect, and as you say “Fast forward to today, and I see similar frustrations and elations when my students are coding using programs such as Scratch. It gives me pause to reflect on how far we have come in making it easier for people to create using computers, and how similar the learning experience is now as it was for me then.” While the technology may have changed, several issues remain prescient. Samia